How to play Metallica style?

Dante7978
Dante7978
02/11/2004 3:52 am
I'm desperately trying to modify my amp settings in order to get that Metallica style sound that you hear in songs like Master of Puppets. I just can't seem to get it though...Any help? I have a Marshall MG15DFX (http://www.marshallamps.com/images/products/mg/mg15dfx.html) and a Schecter Omen 6 guitar (http://www.pulseonline.com/schecter10.htm). I know that this is probably not the best equipment to have to try to get the Metallica sound, but please help me out here. Thanks.
HADOUUUU KEN!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:
# 1
Dante7978
Dante7978
02/11/2004 4:12 am
Uhhh...is there anyone that can help me? Any help or guide will be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry if this is a dumb question to y'all or a frequent one, but I really need to know. Please help.
HADOUUUU KEN!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:
# 2
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/11/2004 12:05 pm
You need lots of Bass, Treble, Gain, Presence, and scooped mids. With that amp youl need a little help tho, try the Boss Metal Zone pedal!
# 3
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
02/12/2004 2:18 am
dont forget sloppy playing and an ego larger than malmsteens
i tihnk you should be set after that..lol
i would stick with what axl said

In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 4
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
02/13/2004 3:10 am
Yeah, I really want to take the easy way out and joke the hell out of Kirk Hammet's playing, but how about some real advice? If I were you, I'd learn the solos to "Enter Sandman" and "One" then take a few of the basic ideas from each and form your own riffs. Also, as has been mentioned before, get a distortion pedal and a whammy bar (preferably a floyd Rose since you'll be abusing it like Hammet does, don't want to go out of tune do you?).
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 5
ridethelightning_8
ridethelightning_8
02/13/2004 6:46 am
for your amp settings set your bass at like 8, treble at about 5 or 6, mids at 2 or 3, and have your presence at liek 6 or 7, and yeah use a lot of wah and ****.
Strength, Determination, Merciless, Forever. BLEED BLACK LABEL
# 6
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/15/2004 10:28 pm
Ok I'm not a Metallica fan.... but.... I actually will try to help you....

I'll start off giving the same advice that I give to most people with tone problems..... (because most beginners just don't get it...)

As the others have told you, you need extremely scooped mids to get that tone.... but there's a problem with your gear....

Its your amp - an amp is the driving force behind most tone.....

Let me expand....

For most pros, distortion comes from two things:
The amp and the pedal....
The amp gives the tone, and the pedal just boosts it...
Now almost all of the pros (including metallica) use tube amps..... this gives you the classic distortion that you need....
The amp you have may be a marshall (a great company), but its a solid state amplifier (or their fancy name FDD)...
Solid State and Tube is like the difference between St. Anger and Master of Puppets.... one is crap... while the other can sometimes blow your mind...

But until recently to get this tone you would have to buy a tube amplifier (which are very expensive...)
Now this isn't the case...

Go Digital! A digital processor models amplifiers that are very expensive... while the unit itself relatively inexpensive ....
I reccomend the Digitech RP series....
While using these, you can make sounds that sound like metallica, or any other band for that matter (well maybe not every band.... but thats ok)
But keep in mind that digital processing does not exactly replicate amp models... you won't have the exact, precise tone... but it'll be pretty darn close....

If you don't want to buy one of these processors.... or a tube amp..... then I really can't help you more than ne1 else here did...

(what is it with metallica these days?)
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 7
alkaline
alkaline
02/16/2004 4:26 am
to play like metllica you should have sex with a dog and act like a dumbass
# 8
bitterblues01
bitterblues01
02/16/2004 6:53 am
Hey kid you should respect that style of music he wants to play. Your name reminds me of a band "Alkaline Trio"...if you got your name idea from them..musically using 5th chords for whole song isn't much talent.
Same old song, just a drop of water in an endless sea
All we do, crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.