Soup. Yup, soup.

Hammurabi
Hammurabi
02/10/2004 4:19 am
You all know what being a musician means, cheap food. Sometimes it's because money is really scarce, sometimes it's because the money available gets saved for gear, and sometimes it's some other honorable reason, like college. I've seen a thread or two on here before about cheap food for musicians like rice, eggs, and ramen, but I've never really seen much about soup.

Have any of you ever tried campbell's soup at hand? I've had a few of their classic tomato soups and I'm in love. Trouble is they're way overpriced. So, what I'm wondering is, is it possible to heat up canned soup in a microwave without owning a bowl? With ramen you can get hot water with a coffee pot but I don't think putting tomato soup through a coffee machine would be a bright idea.

If you know of any other good cheap food go ahead and shout it out. I'm always hungy at night after dinner and popcorn is getting too overpriced here.

"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/10/2004 4:36 am
[u]Do NOT put ANY metalic object in a microwave oven[/u]!!!!! :eek:

A metal can will short out the resonnant cavity of the magnetron (the gizmo that makes the microwaves) and that will [u]destroy[/u] your oven, quite likely start a fire, and possibly injure anyone in the room!

:eek: DON'T DO IT!!! :eek:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
02/10/2004 5:12 am
..that's why I was asking how to heat the soup up, since I don't own a bowl and I can't just put the can in and cook it.

I've never heard the science of it explained before, that's kinda cool.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 3
sme331
sme331
02/10/2004 9:45 am
Put the soup in a Coffee cup and heat it one cup at a time. Or if you have a pot you could actually use the stove
You are only coming through in waves, your lips move but I cant hear what you're saying.:cool:
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/10/2004 1:59 pm
Learn to cook dude, you can eat really good stuff on very little cash, got me through 8 years of student-dome ! Pre-prepared food is much more expensive than raw ingredients !

Beans on toast (life saver and good for you)

lamb casserole (use a cheep cut like neck)

Any and all soup (boil bones form a previous meal to make stock and drop in lots of vegetables, dried beans and pulses. Very good eating and very cheep.

Buy vegetables in bulk (get a friend to go in with you, they are much cheeper by the sack !

Fish are good also, fries place / sole are quite cheap and also good for you.

Also liver and onions / anything with kidneys,
cheep and yummy and BSE free ! Im still avoiding anything with nervous tissue in it 'cos of the old BSE thing and that includes burgers unless I make em my self.

After a while you will probably get quite good at it (especially if you don't have a choice) and at that point it can become fun. I really enjoy cooking for Catherine / family / guests and I think the fact that I am a reasonable cook was one of the reasons Catherine married me in the first place !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5
Jimmi431
Jimmi431
02/10/2004 2:53 pm
wow i was gonna do a thread kinda like this but slightly diferent. make spaghetti bolognase. very very easy, this is wot i love! when you make it once all the source an meat is cooked and your waitin or what ever untill its time to serve it with the spaghetti get a piece of bread an put the sauce on whilst its hot then get a bit of mayonnaise on it an you will have the nicest sandwiche/starter ever! ummm i may make the tea tonight!
thats another great part of cooking, the eating that goes along side it! ummmmmmmm
an also cookin is one of the best ways to listen to a new album! you can be in there for an hour with nothin but cooking it lets you actually listen to the music instead of half listening to it whilst doin somethin else at the same time!

[Edited by jimmi431 on 02-10-2004 at 08:56 AM]
The sun is shining the weather is sweet
# 6
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
02/10/2004 8:37 pm
I'm normally good at cooking, but right now my resouces in total are-

-coffee pot. the type you plug in and it heats the water up.
-16 and 20 ounce insulated cups from work (coffee shop)
-crappy microwave
-a plastic fork laying around here somewhere
-a small knife
-sugar for coffee
-A.H.
# 7
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/10/2004 9:20 pm
Oh yes Lordathestrings is totally correct!

If you want to see this theory in practice put a CD you never want to listen to again in a microwave and watch !

FIre and brimstone man, I had a lot of pleasure watching Catherine microwave a couple of her old Prince CDs.....Ah Sweeeeet !
# 8
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
02/11/2004 2:08 am
I believe you can make soup out of broccoli stalks.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 9
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
02/11/2004 4:20 am
Bro... Just like playing guitar, you won't get anywhere without the proper tools. Get something to cook with. Get something to eat out of. Quit being so damned cheap. Check yard sales if you are strapped for cash.
Also go to the Dollar Store. They sell pots and pans there also. Flea Markets always have cheap stock pots (5-10 dollars)
Get a 5 qt. stock pot and try this:
1 5-lb tube hamburger cut in half
1 large can of veg-all
1 large can stewed tomatoes
lots of gahhhhlic
salt and pepper (everglades seasoning if you are from the south) :)
water

In pot, cook 2.5 lbs hamburger until it's not mad anymore
fill half way with water
add can of veg-all, tomatoes
throw in lots and lots of chopped garlic
season and finish filling to 3/4 if the veggies didn't do it for you
Bring to boil and cook for 1/2 hour
eat and enjoy

Cool thing about this is you can add stuff if you want, like corn and cabbage
As you eat the soup and start running low, you can just add more water and re-season until all the burger and veggies are gone.
Use the other half of the burger to make something else because you will get bored with this soup after a while.

You can make tomato soup by using pureed tomatoes, milk, and seasonings a whole lot cheaper than you can buy them. If you can find a food chopper cheap get it and use real tomatoes for an even cheaper alternative.

[Edited by hairbndrckr on 02-10-2004 at 10:35 PM]
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 10
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
02/11/2004 4:26 am
It's not so much a matter of $$ as a matter of dorm restrictions (like no toasters allowed) and transportation. I don't have a car.
-A.H.
# 11
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/11/2004 2:18 pm
Do they not have a shared kitchen ?

I know they can be pretty grim however, they are better than nothing and with a little creativity it is relatively easy to stop people nicking your stuff.

I seem to remember some of the kitchens I have used (...urgghhhh !) Ok if you can negotiate your way past the people expressing free love, unconscious rummies, stoned people and the mountains of unwashed / abandoned dishes!
# 12
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
02/11/2004 6:52 pm
Most dorms and honor houses here do have shared kitches, but this one doesn't.
-A.H.
# 13
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
02/13/2004 4:38 am
Just hook up with a few chicks that will take pity on your poor broke ass, and get them to feed you. If you play it right, you can get away with on girl for monday-wednesday, one for thurs-fri, and one for sat-sun.... Just make sure to swap them up so that they all get their share of the weekends, otherwise they might get suspicious....

I lived like that for a year in Orlando when I was doing the club thing... Hell I didn't even have my own place for the whole time.... I just left my equipment at the practice pad... and had clothes at the chicks' houses. That was living at it's finest....:D
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.