Help me with electric jazz guitar strings!

eltocaor
eltocaor
02/09/2004 4:15 pm
Hi guys!

It's all very vague...I heard that Dean Markley 2555JZ blue steel set and 2506BJZ Nickel Steel was mainly for Jazz.I really want to know what the hell this two sets are for Jazz because other brands usually used Half round for Jazz?
Are there others Jazz sets produced by Dean I didn't mentioned?
Can be considered the DT sets in blue steel and nickel steel as Jazz strings?...

Thanks

# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/10/2004 5:31 am
Jazz musicians are thought to prefer heavy strings with a relatively pure tone. Flat-wound and half-round windings fit this description. But, It's unwise to assume that there are only certain kinds of strings that can be used for any particular genre of music. Round-wound strings offer more richness of tone. Lighter strings have less fullness to their sound, but they make bends and legato easier to play.

I use D'Addario EJ-21 string sets on my main guitars. These are heavy round-wound strings that are considered to be jazz gear. I play mostly funked-up Blues and I like the tone I get from heavy round-wound strings.

But I also have a couple of axes strung with D'Addario EXL-110 strings which are intended for rock music. But I find that they work just fine for whatever I happen to feel like playing.

As usual, do your gear selection with your eyes closed - open your mind and your ears. Nobody can read the package labels with their ears! And if they try, they're not really listening to the music. :)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
eltocaor
eltocaor
02/10/2004 8:31 am
Thanks!
I don't Know a lot of things about jazz strings because I play mainly on classical/Flamenco guitar and a little on electric...
For my classical I use Savarez corum strings and for my electric Blue steel electric LT.
Thanks for youe help I can see more clearly now!
so DeanMarkley "Jazz" strings refers to their flat-wound set and other set (like blue steel and nickel steel) with heavy gauge.
# 3
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
02/10/2004 8:46 am
Right now I have a set of GHS strings on my guitar, I know they're used by some jazz musicians even though they're not flat or roundwound. It's probably the tone and clarity that count more than anything else, just to restate that it's a good idea to find what's best for you without looking at names or labels.

I'm actually going to be switching strings because the GHS strings I have now seem a bit stiff in the higher strings. It's awesome for tapping and most things besides bending, but deep bends are what I'm working on most now. If you like fast jazz runs that don't sway all over the place I would definitely recommend looking into them.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 4
sambob
sambob
02/13/2004 9:07 pm
When I'm playing clean type of music (swing, bop etc), I use the lightest flatwounds I can. Thats not to say that they're very light though, they simply just don't make too many light flatwounds. Most people prefer very heavy strings for that type of music.
# 5
eltocaor
eltocaor
02/13/2004 10:39 pm
...Thanks,I will have a look on GHS.
# 6
the fool
the fool
02/21/2004 5:31 am
speaking of strings, when it comes to tone, which is better, the d'addario 11's or the elixir 11's
"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 7
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
02/21/2004 10:29 am
I've heard elixer strings sound better as well as lasting longer, but I've never used elixer strings and I haven't used d'addario in about 4 years so feel free to disagree with me.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/21/2004 6:26 pm
I've read favourable comments here about both brands. I like D'Addario strings enough that I haven't tried Elixirs. I think you're going to have to find out for yourself.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.