need mandolin help

Valorian
Valorian
02/09/2004 2:00 am
I bought a mandolin for lack of anything better to do with my money. I know nothing about strings. I'm a percussionist. I am hoping someone knows of a site with a free download that includes audio so I can tune and learn some basic beginning technique for this thing. Please help me if you can. I would love to be able to play this thing, but the only downloads I've gotten so far are only text and have no audio, so I don't even know if it's tuned right.

Thanks

# 1
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/11/2004 6:44 pm
If you have a tuner it'll be easier to tune it as opposed to finding audio files on the net (assuming that's what you meant). The tuning is GDAE. It's tuned like a backwards bass. I'll see if I can find any sites for you. Just hang tight till then. And mandolins are awesome.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 2
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/11/2004 7:07 pm
Ok, this is the best I was able to do (so far at least). I'll keep an eye out for anything else. http://www.cyberfret.com/first-fret/basic-tuning/index.php
That link'll take you to a guitar tuning site with an audio file for the low E string, which would be used to tune the highest string. That'll at least give you something to start with. Now, on a mandolin you'll notice that there are 8 strings organized into 4 pairs. As I said earlier, from largest to smallest, the tuning is GDAE. What you can do to make sure that it's at least in tune with itself, so it'll sound as well as it can in whatever note it's at. Hit the 7th fret on the G strings. That note is a D and is what the next set over should sound like. Then hit the 7th fret on the D strings and that'll give you an A which I'm sure you get the idea of the cycle by now. Now, I"m aware that the note that you'll get from that audio file at the link above will be giving you the E which, in turn, is the last note to be tuned, so, in this case you'd have to tune backwards. In which case, tune the note to an E, then go to the 5th fret and tune the next set of strings to that note. That'll probably be harder though, given the difference in octaves. As I said, this is the best I can find at the moment. It'll be in your best interest though to get an electric tuner. Perhaps next time you go to buy strings. And as for a website that'd be good to learn from check out http://www.mandolincafe.com, I looked around a bit there, but didn't see anything as far as tuning goes, but you might have luck with their forums. Good luck to you and practice that damn thing, cause they're tons of fun when you get the hang of them.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.