Key signatures are out to get me

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/09/2004 12:47 am
Ok, I've read and read and read some more...Following up my reading with more reading and reviewing and to be honest. I don't get key signatures. The significance of the order of the sharps and all that, what exactly they do that's convenient and vital. Only thing I know of the key signature is the order it goes in forward and backward. Other than that I've got no idea on their purpose and why I should find them valuable. Could someone fill me?
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 1
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/09/2004 4:01 pm
Key signatures are a sight reading tool. They tell you what key your in, and then you just look at the staff. Each line or space is a note within the scale of the key your in. The flats or sharps carry over, so that you don't have to write them everytime you play a sharp or flat note depending on the key. Which could be messy if you write in a key with alot of sharps or flats. Accidentals on the score then become notes outside the key. There alot more reasons why it's like this, but in short it's for convience. If your not learning to read music, it has little value. What you should look at though is the circle of fifths. It helps with modulation and writting chords progressions like a cycle five.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 2
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/10/2004 1:08 am
Thanks, that clears things up a good bit for me.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.