Shawn Lane and Rusty Cooley Songs

Seve420
Seve420
02/05/2004 8:19 am
Can someone please suggest some good Shawn Lane and Rusty Cooley songs.
Latest News: Bird and bee have sex with disastrous results
# 1
Yngtchie Blacksteen
Yngtchie Blacksteen
02/05/2004 1:43 pm
Rusty Cooley ain't excactly a good songwriter, he's more famous for his wanky solos. Shawn Lane on the other hand, now he had an ear for melody. Check out his album "Powers Of Ten", I recommend the whole album.

Why excactly these two guitarists?
# 2
sambob
sambob
02/05/2004 8:45 pm
Well, these guys are totally different.

But.

For Rusty Cooley, he only has one album, so that would be the one to get (self titled, available from http://www.rustycooley.com).

As for Shawn Lane, it really depends on what you like. If you're more into rock/pop with some jazz, his two solo albums Powers Of Ten and The Tri-Tone Fascination are excellent (in particular the live version of Powers of Ten). If you think you could get into fusion a bit, I'd say your best bet would be the live album Personae, as it features some of the best songs from his fusion albums with Jonas Hellborg. Shawn Lane also dabbled a bit in carnatic music, I'd say the best of that is his album Icon.

Of course, anything with Shawn Lane in it is pretty good (in my experience, I have all of his albums).
# 3
Seve420
Seve420
02/06/2004 6:37 am
Originally posted by Yngtchie Blacksteen

Why excactly these two guitarists?

From previous posts about shredders, these two came up a lot and I haven't heard a lot from either. I've only heard one Rusty Cooley song and it sounded like an exercise. I was wondering, seeing he's quite popular, if he had better songs that weren't mindless shredding. Obviously not.

I've heard a few Shawn Lane songs and was interested in hearing some other stuff.
Latest News: Bird and bee have sex with disastrous results
# 4
Yngtchie Blacksteen
Yngtchie Blacksteen
02/06/2004 1:47 pm
Okay, download this Rusty Cooley song: War Of The Angels. It's probably his best tune, out of the songs I've heard(I have his entire debut album).

Review from www.theshredzone.com: ""War of the Angels" hands down is the number one song from this stellar release. Rusty Cooley's guitar playing is off the scale and ferocious! Cooley is defiantly a lion when it comes to his guitar playing. He pounces on his pray with a mighty thrash then roars out in victory with his thunderous rhythm guitar work. This song is very machinelike. Cooley showcases all his chops ranging from melodic hooks, happy arpeggios, screaming bends, insane harmonics to shred runs that will leave his competition in shambles. The main melody and backing riff is if not the most powerful and aggressive one ever to hit the face of instrumental guitar. I can't even begin to describe to awesome this song is. There are so many interesting and over the top licks I can't even pin point a few to check out immediately. Well, I did find the section starting at 05:01 real interesting, because Rusty shifted from the explosive shred and ballsy riffing to a peaceful melodic solo that will calm the wildest of all beasts. This song will be hard to beat and I will state that "War of the Angels" is The Shred Zone.com's pick for best instrumental song of the year!"
# 5
sambob
sambob
02/07/2004 1:46 pm
What I find so great about Rusty Cooley (aside from his incredibly technique of course), is simply thinking about what he MIGHT do next. He's listed people like Frank Gambale and Shawn Lane as some of his influences (I don't know if he even talks about them on his site though), he's got to be up to something more than just metal/neoclassical stuff. I predict something with a little more fusion in it for his next album, which of course would be very cool.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.