Band Practice

MadGuitarest
MadGuitarest
01/30/2004 12:53 am
Is there any way you can have band practice without anyone getting drown out u know, monitors maybe i dont know, paleese answer.
Mike ;)
# 1
SPL
SPL
01/30/2004 1:47 am
If the bass and guitar set up their sound properly, there should be no issues with instruments drowning eachother out. The bass takes care of the low end, the guitar the mids. So for those instuments, emphasize those frequencies, and your battle to be heard will be over. Very simplistic way of looking at it, but it works.
# 2
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
01/30/2004 2:30 am
Try to get everyone pointing somewhat at the other. Basically the vocals, guitars, and bass should be pointing in a direction that the members can hear.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 3
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
01/30/2004 6:55 am
Compressors can help too.

Most players tend to do this. The bass player will turn himself up until he can hear his low E clearly. Problem is, when he hits other strings they will be extremely loud as the bass guitar is a dynamic instrument. So then, you've got the guitarist turning up so he can hear over the bass, and it's a never ending battle.

Like SPL said, bass takes care of the low end, guitars take care of the mids. If you're scooping your mids to get a "heavier" sound, you may be all playing low frequencies. Remember, you need the mids to cut through the mix.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 4
davesellar
davesellar
08/27/2004 11:32 am
it sounds kinda stupid but it could be sumthin as stupid as how close u are standing to an amp. obviously if you stand next to the guitar amp it will drown u out.

alternatively wot i like to do is get the drummer to play a beat (as he would in the practice) and then try and get the bass volume similar to that of the drummers bass pedal, and then put the guitar with its levels about the same as the cymbals. You will find if u get it right (in my opinion) the bass wont be really loud and sort of loud enuff not 2 notice it much but so loud that if it wasnt ther it will leave an empty sound. The guitarist should be loud enuff to be heard and should when doing lead lines cut through the bass.

When the bass is too loud it sticks out like a sore thumb

i sppose tho it depends on what music u play.
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/27/2004 1:49 pm
Turn everything down.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 6
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
08/30/2004 5:13 pm
We used to have that problem, not being able to hear anything and fighting each other's volumes. We solved it by buying a mixing board, headphone amp and headphones. Drums, bass and vocals are centered, and the 2 guitars are panned opposite from each other. It's a costly way to go about it, but it definately helps with controlling volumes. Everything can be heard clearly.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.