Dissing Other Bands

Hammurabi
Hammurabi
01/27/2004 3:41 am
I suppose this is an ungracefull time to ask what the bloody hell a quid is. Sounds kinda like some brand of chewing tobacco :)
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 1
Seve420
Seve420
01/27/2004 3:45 am
I don't know if that was sarcasm or not but in case it wasn't, he was refering to money.
Latest News: Bird and bee have sex with disastrous results
# 2
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
01/27/2004 3:55 am
Hmmm.... whats the ratio of US members to UK ones on this site? Is it just my misconception or do US people find it harder embrasing other cultures... :(
# 3
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
01/27/2004 3:57 am
Sorry, maybe that was a bit "racist" but I remember one of my first posts on here was and argument with a guy saying that Globalisation didnt exist, Americanisation is whats its called! That really annoyed me!
# 4
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
01/27/2004 4:07 am
Originally posted by Axl_Rose
Originally posted by Pantallica1
Nsync has sold millions upon millions of records, along with the Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears and so on and so on....is this good music? Hell no. This is reformulated garbage.

Does it matter that its not "good"? Its pop music, its contemporay, low lastibility but catchy to those who like it. Ive bought 100s of rock and metal CDs and only listen to about 20! My girlfriend has 100s of pop CDs and listens to em all!

Live n Let Live Man! Sometimes in life even though your right, theres no way you can change peoples ways, or force them to listen! Example... seeing two pals buy seperately in McDonalds... one buys a cheese burger and coke, the other a cheese burger and fries. They pay seperately and it costs 4 quid. If they had only bought it all at once, known as the 2 cheese burger meal they would saved a quid! I tell people this but they dont listen! But wheres the harm in it :)

[Edited by Axl_Rose on 01-26-2004 at 09:39 PM]

The dude simply stated that because they sold millions of CDs the music must be good. That's a false statement. I was never trying to make him change his ways, I was just simply stating the fact that CD sales have nothing to do with how good the band is.

What does your story about you buying 100 CDs and only listening to 20 have to do with anything? The dude said, don't make fun of bands, if they sell CDs they must be good. I was simply stating my opinions on the matter. You come in with all these analogies that make no sense whatsoever.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 5
Yngtchie Blacksteen
Yngtchie Blacksteen
01/27/2004 7:58 am
Originally posted by moody_fa_loonie
Have to just stay open to all kinds of music and not limit yourself.

I take that as an insult. Do you have even the slighest clue how many genres I listen to? How many different CD's and records I have, and how many of them I listen to daily?

Didn't think so. If you've got nothing worthwhile to say, then don't say it at all.

Do you really, honestly consider Busted to be good music? Am I limiting myself by not liking them? Will I get a better understanding of music if I start listening to that crap?

Please...:rolleyes:
# 6
concrete chaos
concrete chaos
01/27/2004 8:22 am
funny..........i have loads of cds i listen to all of 'em

some music lasts some doesnt.

if u wanna say that dissing famous bands is obsolete cus they must be doing summin right to be selling. well jeez

what good is las ketchup/linkin park/ limp biskit/ brittany spears/aguilera/ the spice girls west life/ man we can neve stop mentioning these idiots. who have settled for being marketed instead of creating thei own stuff.

ppl listen to these bands cus theyre easy to find, popular etc.. their songs are all short, no need to listen attentivley to surreal lyrics etc...

real music with passion isnt anywhere but in the hearts of the muscians and the ppl they share it with. its really scary u know to think of compromising such a mystery just to be in the sequence of the formula the industry creates.

i actually see ads like wanted: drummer with long hair. [it doesnt matter if u can play the kit]

i have no respect whatsoever for ****ty bands claiming to b musicians, etc.. and i dont believe that having a contract means ur doing something right.
think of all the bands who are unsigned unknown making music, that is real not controlled or forced out on contract.

i mean how can u not feel upset when charts decide who is this yr's number one guitarist. its like music is a product.

:mad:
'i dont have low self esteem, it's a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else' - Daria
# 7
Fruitbat
Fruitbat
01/27/2004 9:18 am
Moodie la Foonie. Clearly you're missing out on one of the basic the joys of the Internet and that is dissing pop groups, famous mediocrities etc in forums like this one. God forbid we should ever live in a pure PC world where you can no longer make rash generalisations and vent off steam. Bands, actors, models, politicians etc mostly choose to live their lives in public and nearly all of them seek adulation and worship from the great unwashed.But life like it is, some will kiss their spotty backsides while others will want to give 'em a good kicking. Welcome to the real world.
# 8
Yngtchie Blacksteen
Yngtchie Blacksteen
01/27/2004 9:43 am
Fruitbat, your words are wise, my friend.:cool:
# 9
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
01/27/2004 4:41 pm
Its really fun to diss bands you dont like , BUT
saying stuff like "pop stars sell / dont write their own music/ repeat the formula hence they suck" is simply dumb.
Blues, jazz, country ,classical musicians, they all repeat the formula as well. Analyze every S.R.V song and youll find out he used the 1-4-5 harmony in 99% of his songs.
Does it turn him into a ****ty musician?

Whats so ****ty and bad in tunes every 10 years old can remember? Who said music had to be complicated?

"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 10
throbbingood
throbbingood
01/27/2004 5:01 pm
In the words of a great artist and musician ..

'Why did you have go and make things so complicated ..'

You gotta love english humor :)
# 11
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
01/27/2004 5:01 pm
Originally posted by concrete chaos
ppl listen to these bands cus theyre easy to find, popular etc.. their songs are all short, no need to listen attentivley to surreal lyrics etc...

Yea well wheres the harm in that! Let them enjoy music that you or I might believe is of a lower class to ours. Thats all pop music is, why get so bitter about it.

And!! If pop music is mainstream, radio friendly and catchy, then I like it. Because its a medium for people to get into bands like Guns n Roses, Aerosmith n Metallica. All of which have enjoyed chart success with songs of a more popy nature.

To say pop music sucks is ridiculous!
# 12
Digit
Digit
01/27/2004 5:24 pm
Originally posted by iamthe_eggman
[u]ALL[/u] generalizations are [u]WRONG[/u].

Hey... that's a generalization and I don't appreciate it :o

# 13
Yngtchie Blacksteen
Yngtchie Blacksteen
01/27/2004 5:39 pm
Originally posted by Zeppelin

Whats so ****ty and bad in tunes every 10 years old can remember? Who said music had to be complicated?

Well, I have never ever said that music has to be complicated, not once. I just despise Busted because they suck, simple as that.
# 14
moody_fa_loonie
moody_fa_loonie
01/27/2004 6:20 pm
Hey dont get me started again.

Your the ones who called this a DEBATE in the first place
# 15
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
01/27/2004 6:55 pm
To many people still miss this point.

Pop stars use a formula...SRV knowing it or not used a formula...all music in general can have a formula applied to it.

But the question is:Whats the MOTIVE and INTENT behind the formula.I really have to think that SRV didn't have figures,statistics,targeted audiences,record sales,media exposer,endorsments(besides fender),sales and money in mind when he made music.

and the response I get most often is...

Well if you were in the position to make big money you would do it too...Not if it means compromising my music.

A lack of INTEGRITY..thats what destroys music...for me anyway.
Try once,fail twice...
# 16
Yngtchie Blacksteen
Yngtchie Blacksteen
01/27/2004 7:23 pm
Originally posted by moody_fa_loonie
Hey dont get me started again.

Your the ones who called this a DEBATE in the first place

Wanna start a real debate? Fine, name your favorite bands.
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.