proper technique

Marauder
Marauder
01/18/2004 12:37 am
can someone tell me 'proper technique' please? Like position of hand, wrist, shoulder etc... I must be doing something wrong because I am getting bad pains in my wrist that don't go away really.
# 1
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/18/2004 2:59 am
Your probably either playing 2 much........ (which I doubt cuz I play for hours everyday and its happened to me then like twice) or your straining your hands due to stretching or lack of

"form"

Now the thing to be said here is there really isn't any proper "form" in guitar playing. If the way you are playing isn't feeling right then you have to try something new.... Try coming up with it on your own.... or look at videos of the pros playing..... also there are many books.... like guitar for dummies....... that give you some decent advice
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 2
Death55
Death55
01/18/2004 1:35 pm
As i said before ... make sure you keep your wrist as straight as possible. It does help because i've been told this by someone with 17 years of experience and it worked for me.
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 3
u10ajf
u10ajf
01/18/2004 2:25 pm
You say there isn't a right way to play but I'm pretty sure there is a wrong way to.
Classical guitarists play in a very correct fashion; they hold the guitar such that the fretboard is orientated in a straight up/down position, thumb behind the neck, wrist bent maybe around 120 degrees. If they need to see their fingers (which they might when they are training) they move their heads rather than tilt their guitar.
The guitar is often held (the following is for right handed players)with the curve in the bottom of the guitar placed upon the left leg and the foot elevated on a foot stool.
The right arm generally rests on the top of the guitar with the wrist generally dropped over the sound hole. Of course this is for fingerstyle playing but everything I have writen regarding the left hand is equally applicable to other styles.
If you play standing up it could be that you are wearing the strap too long. It is important to ensure that the wrist is not too bent and that the fretboard is in an up-down orientation.
Try to play with the tips of your fingers (unless you're playing a bar chord).
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 4
Cody_King
Cody_King
01/20/2004 7:22 pm
http://www.guitarprinciples.com
# 5
guitardude23
guitardude23
01/21/2004 12:18 am
make sure you relax you wrist/hand/arm as much as possible..it is good to stretch as well..and hold your arms above your head increasing blood flow. If you watch John Petrucci's video he shows you some things to help
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.