No Truss Rod!?

the fool
the fool
01/14/2004 9:48 pm
I'm thinking of buying an acoustic guitar somewhere in asia-particularly in Cebu- the guitar city of the Philippines. They make guitars out of unusual wood (bamboo, kamagong, jackfruit, ply wood etc.- if you guys know anything about the sonic characteristics of these woods, i'd be glad to hear anything from you) for very cheap price- and I'm very curious as to how it sounds. However, I heard that many of the unknown/ no name acoustic guitars/ home made acoustic guitars that they sell there have no truss rod. I guess it's ok if you're playing that guitar in that country because there's no winter- only sunny and rainy season, so i guess they don't have to adjust things all the time like we do. But my main worry is if that if i ever buy that guitar, would it ever survive Canadian weather? How do I go about fixing the neck anyways once it starts warping if there's no truss rod? Does anyone know how to set up a guitar and fix the neck of a guitar without a truss rod? thnx.
"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 1
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
01/15/2004 2:00 am
You won't fix it if there is no truss rod.
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 2
the fool
the fool
01/15/2004 3:56 am
what do you mean? does that mean that if the neck bows there's nothing I can do to fix it?
"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 3
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
01/15/2004 5:11 am
Originally posted by the fool
what do you mean? does that mean that if the neck bows there's nothing I can do to fix it?

Right. A truss rod is a metal rod that runs through your fretboard. It compensates string tension, by pulling the neck the opposite way. This is so that the string tension doesn't bow the neck over time. Even if there is a truss rod, if the neck gets warped, I don't think there is much you can do about it.

[Edited by Pantallica1 on 01-15-2004 at 12:40 AM]
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 4
the fool
the fool
01/15/2004 6:10 am
then how do they set up those old martins and some of those classical guitars that don't have a truss rod?

# 5
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
01/15/2004 6:39 am
then how do they set up those old martins and some of those classical guitars that don't have a truss rod?

That I don't know. I just know that a truss rod is meant to compensate for string tension. The strings on your guitar pull the neck toward the front of the guitar, while the truss rod pulls the neck back towards you (if you were holding it) to compensate. If the neck becomes warped, I don't know what you can do to fix it besides replacement.

Antique guitars are not my forte. But I believe over time, older acoustic guitars start to bubble on the body because of string tension. Lordathestrings would be the one to help you out on this topic.

Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 6
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/15/2004 8:06 am
If you examine one of those old acoustics, you'll find that the neck looks like a fence post compared to the thin necks on modern guitars.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
01/15/2004 9:40 am
most classicals do not have a truss rod - at least not an adjsutable one since the string tension on a classical is way lower than on an electrical. the necks dont get out of shape usually - its more the body that does. and incase the neck is damaged you have to replace the whole neck . but the guitar has to be worth it.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 8
jealousblues
jealousblues
01/16/2004 3:36 am
ply wood??? :-?
Have you noticed that the best songs always seem be the most simple take, the classic song, "batman"... I mean its just Batman and Na...
# 9
the fool
the fool
01/16/2004 7:03 am
Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Lordathestrings

If you examine one of those old acoustics, you'll find that the neck looks like a fence post compared to the thin necks on modern guitars.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know about the word "modern." I mean, it is modern in a sense that the guitar I'm buying is new and it's possibly being made at this point in time. But when it comes to the method of constructing and the style, I think the way they're making the guitar is not the modern way we do it- it's pretty much old fashioned- that's why I want to buy one- just to have a unique guitar you know? I'm actually travelling by plane to one of those islands inaccessible by car (of course it's inaccessible- it's surrounded by water- how stupid of me!) just to see the place- or should I call it factory, where the natives make the guitar.

Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Azrael

most classicals do not have a truss rod - at least not an adjustable one since the string tension on a classical is way lower than on an electrical. the necks dont get out of shape usually - its more the body that does. and incase the neck is damaged you have to replace the whole neck . but the guitar has to be worth it
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But I'm planning to buy a steel string acoustic. I'm guessing that since the tension on a steel string acoustic is higher than the tension of nylon strings on a classical guitar, there's a big chance that I might damage the neck more than the body. Is there a way that I can strengthen the neck?

Quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by jealousblues

ply wood??? :-?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Asian guitars are often notorious for being cheap or of bad quality but to my surprise, the guitar that I'm buying is actually of very good quality. It's just cheap in a sense
that I don't have to spend as much for the guitar because 1) the wood grows there, 2) they're closer to India, Africa etc. so even if they order ebony or whatever would, it costs cheaper 3) their money has no value- it's like 40 Canadian Dollars to 1 peso 4) there's no annonying 15% or 6% tax- everything's included on the price, 5) Labor is pretty cheap, 6) You can actually haggle!!!

Come to think of it, they are very beautiful guitars- everything's hand made (I'm actually going to the factory to see them making it), artistry and craftsmanship is superb- especially the inlayings!!!, plus they can get pretty creative with wood. There are guitars that are made out of plywood- but the guitar that I'm planning to buy is more unusual than that- plywood is common. I was thinking of buying one made out of either kamagong (wood they use in arnis- you guys heard of this martial art form?), jack fruit, or maybe bamboo? I don't know the sonic properties of bamboo- it could be crap so I said maybe- but jack fruit-I like the sound. Very warm but lots of body- very nice to pluck. My main concern is, since that wood doesnt grow on cold climates, I just don't know if it will survive winter. Maybe I might just damage the body too, as Azrael was saying earlier... this has turned out to be more complicated than I thought it would be.

# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.