need help please

Marauder
Marauder
01/13/2004 2:35 am
ok I know this has already been posted but ah well.
I am getting REALLY bad pains in my wrist on my fret hand. Should I stop for a while? I am in a band that gigs regularly so I don't want to do that.
What are some good ways to warm up? ie: exercises, stretchesd anything to avoid this pain...I really don't want tendonitis......my elephantitis of my left testicle and right earlobe is hard enough to deal with.....

(I'm really glad this forum doesn't have emoticons)
# 1
KirK 2nd
KirK 2nd
01/13/2004 7:52 pm
I hurt my fretting hand and was told to rest it for 10 days minimum.
I know thats a bitch but trust me, if you don't, it could develop into something serious and would have to rest it for even longer.
# 2
Marauder
Marauder
01/15/2004 11:05 pm
man that does suck a$$. But like you said it is worth it. I haven't touched my guitar since sunday and last night I picked it up for about 15 mins. and my hand still hurt. I will rest it more. I hate being so rusty after though....angers me ARRGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
# 3
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
01/16/2004 8:39 am
i used to have that too back when my technique was not as developed. i think its basically a problem of a bad technique. too much tension, too much movement, too much force, etc. when my wrist began to hurt - which was every 6 months or so - irested for a few days and put my wrist in thick immovable bondage and applied some cooling gel on it.
be VERY carefull - i know of alot of guitarrists who had to learn for their final examn at music conservatory and overdid it - some of them have never been able to touch a guitar again - chronical, extreme tendonitis can even hinder you from getting a job for you cant even type on a keyboard! and the usual operations make it even worse.
I only know of one case where a pal of mine was diagnosted "no guitar playing for you evermore" and he couldnt take it, so he spent a year eating vegetables only and drinking like 6 liters of water a day. this helped him beeing able to partially heal the tendinitis and to play again.

[Edited by Azrael on 01-16-2004 at 02:43 AM]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 4
Death55
Death55
01/17/2004 7:51 pm
Originally posted by Azrael
I only know of one case where a pal of mine was diagnosted "no guitar playing for you evermore"

[Edited by Azrael on 01-16-2004 at 02:43 AM]

That really sucks. It also scares me too. I think my technique is ok. I used to get really bad pains in my wrist after about half an hour of playing all the time but now i dont get that because i always try and keep my wrist straight. I will definatly be really carful now. I dont want to never be able to play guitar again.
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 5
blueturk
blueturk
01/23/2004 1:33 am
This thread is probably dead, but some exercises would help prevent some of the soreness. Any continuous repetitive motion is going to cause strain on the muscles and tendons, no matter what part of the body you're talking about. (You usually hear about the wrists, the neck, and the back.)
The trick is to make sure you work the opposite muscles as well. When you have your fingers on the fretboard you're curling them inward. Take a break every so often and flex them backward, use your other hand and hold them back for about 30 seconds at a shot, don't push too hard or bounce the stretch though, this could cause other problems. At first your fingers probablt won't want to stretch too far because you've overdeveloped the muscles that you use when playing. Be patient, eventually they will loosen up. Remember to work on your wrists, elbows, and shoulders too.
If the pain starts kicking in during your practice sessions, put the guitar down and give your body a break. You might want to try some type of linament(like Flexall 454) after you're done playing whether you're hurting or not. If you're developing tendonitis you'll have to stop playing for awhile or you'll do permanent damage. You might want to consider seeing a doctor if the pain doesn't go away soon. You definitely don't want to jeopardize your ability to ever play again.
# 6
dinell2
dinell2
01/24/2004 2:57 pm

The same thing applies to playing the guitar. Playing long, fast, complex runs or passages can be very hard on your tendons and ligaments. The longer and more intense your practice session is the more you need to properly and thoroughly warm up your hands. Practicing these proper warm up exercises before your normal playing session will increase your accuracy, coordination and speed. More flexibility, strength and independence in your fingers are also benefits of these exercises.

I must stress that warm up exercises are very important and are overlooked by many players. All the great players have some type of warm up routine that they follow. This routine is a great contributing factor to their incredible technique and speed.

http://www.wholenote.com/default.asp?src=l&l=614

[Edited by Dr_simon on 01-24-2004 at 12:04 PM]
http://groups.msn.com/GuitarPage
# 7
pricklepuss
pricklepuss
01/24/2004 3:42 pm
ive been playing bass/guitar for more than 10yrs and have always warmed up, taken regular breaks, etc.
about three days ago for the first time ever i got a pain in my fretting hand, and have to stop playing for at least 2weeks.
the interesting thing is, my doctor says i was doing everything right to prevent an injury, but even if you do so you can still develop an rsi. apparently drinking coffee,or alcohol greatly increases the risk of injury, even if you warm up properly, and whilst you practice you should drink water regularly.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.