What would you do??

Talyn
Talyn
01/12/2004 11:15 pm
I think that this should be a good section to put this question under. I'm in a "band" at my church, even though I'm the only person who is playing anything, they lady in charge keeps giving me these cd's with songs on them, and I can't find the tabs or the music to them anywhere, I try listening to them and figuring out the chords, but its really hard to do, any suggestions? because this stuff is like sorta rock and has a lot of technical stuff and solos in it, thanks.
# 1
TheDirt
TheDirt
01/13/2004 1:54 am
I say try to learn the songs off the cd by ear. It's great practice. That's one of the ways that I learned when I was just starting. The youth minister at my church gave me cds of the songs we were learning so I could take them home and try to play them. Excellent ear training, and a good foundation in learning how to play along with songs you've never heard before. I know it's hard, but keep it up! Good luck.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 2
TheDirt
TheDirt
01/13/2004 2:01 am
A good hint is this: most worship songs consist of simply I, IV, and V. If there is a bridge section that sounds minor, it's probably the vi.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

# 3
Talyn
Talyn
01/13/2004 2:56 am
Thanks for the tip on the I IV and V. I'll see if it works with any of them. I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out, but now I need to look up some of those really really long drawn out chords that are on some of the music, for example, F#min9(4). Thats just an example, I don't think that chord is in there, but its not a regular chord that you are used to playing on the guitar, lol. Thanks a lot!!
# 4
TheDirt
TheDirt
01/13/2004 2:23 pm
Some long drawn out chords common to worship music are sus2 and add9 chords.

A lot of worship songs contain the high E and/or B strings as drone strings through chord progressions.

For example: "You Are Holy" is technically E, Asus2, F#m7add11, Bsus4 to B for the verse, then Asus2, Bsus4, C#m7, E for the chorus

But Mr. Dirt, I don't know those chords!! - you can more easily look at it like this... leave the high B and E strings open the whole time and play E, A, F#m, B, then A, B, C#m, E. Just don't put a finger down on the E or B strings. This makes for some interestingly named chords, but it's just due to drone strings.

Find out the key of the music, then think about I ii iii IV V vi (the most common diatonic chords, but mainly I, IV, V), and consider the possibility of drone strings, sus2 and add9 chords. This should get you through most basic songs.

# 5
TheDirt
TheDirt
01/13/2004 2:36 pm
A useful tip: When performing and in doubt about the fingering of a certain chord (perhaps you see a chord like Cmaj7#11), opt to play just the root and fifth, or just the triad (C major here) rather than guessing at how the chord is played; worship music is more about creating an atmosphere, and playing some wrong chord tensions is worse than not playing them at all. Less is more sometimes.

In other cases, it is appropriate to spice up simple worship songs a bit. On a song as simple as "Lord I Lift Your Name On High", where the verse is G, Cadd9, D, Cadd9, you can spice things up a bit using some chord extensions. You can make the G a Gadd9, the C a Cmaj7 (though sparingly), and maybe the D a Dsus2 or a Dadd9,11 (x, 5, 4, 0, 3, 0 - like a C major fingering slid up 2 frets, neat chord when used correctly).

You should be well versed in theory before attempting this, though... practice at home and use what you learn at home in church. After doing this a while, you can approach a song you've never played before and substitute and extend on the spot - but that's after years of practice.

Hope this helps. Keep up the work, and inform us of progress! Have fun, and worship and everything will turn out fine. That's the key, if you don't worship while playing, the people you are playing for won't either. Remember, you're not out to impress anybody, you're trying to create an atmosphere of worship.

# 6
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
01/15/2004 12:49 am
for a klondike bar?

# 7
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/15/2004 2:07 am
Originally posted by iiholly
for a klondike bar?

chocolate or vanilla?

There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 8
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
01/15/2004 2:19 am
Would you stand on one foot? Would you act like a monkey?

Would you...would you kill a man?
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 9
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
01/15/2004 2:27 am
Originally posted by Rrhoads154
Originally posted by iiholly
for a klondike bar?

chocolate or vanilla?

vanilla :)

# 10
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
01/15/2004 2:29 am
Originally posted by Jolly McJollyson
Would you stand on one foot? Would you act like a monkey?

I can see the headlines now "Man Kills for Ice Cream Treat."

# 11
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
01/15/2004 4:40 am
Originally posted by Jolly McJollyson

Hmmm.... what was it again - chocolate or vanilla?
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 12
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
01/15/2004 10:44 pm
vanilla...

# 13
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/15/2004 10:47 pm
Thats a tuffie....... if I hated the person then ya I'd do it...... If I liked the person then...... ya I'd probably do it..... and if I loved the person I would.....

hmmmm.....

O who am I kiddin its a klondike bar of cours i wud!!!

There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 14
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
01/15/2004 10:52 pm
I'd kill for a cruchy vanilla one, but thats just me. I'd probably kill with lack of the offer for a klondike bar. I mean... I would never do such a thing! Stop antagonizing me!

# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.