Low Wattage VS High Wattage

Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
01/16/2004 2:49 pm
No Im saying I previously had an AVT, I now have a JCM2000 TSL60 head which is all valve, and I use it with two 4 by 12 marshall cabs.
I bought 4 gibsons over xmas and have recieved them all now (got em off ebay and had to wait ages)! Well within those 4 there was a gem!! One of them sounds so much better than the rest its unreal! So am pretty happy with my tone right now!
The only aspect Im not happy with is reverb! I can never find a good rack or pedal with good reverb on it! I think the inbuilt reverb on my marshall head jus doesnt go up far enough! I have it on 10 but really am after a 13 or 14 if you get wot am sayin. The reverb on the AVT combo I had was excellent however.
Also... becuase Im just using guitar amp and wah pedal, my tone is very natural, and theres no intereference or wot ever you no. I mean its a clear sound even on the highest gain settings. When I start adding pedals I always get humming and buzzing coming from my amp and it sucks!
I hear you guys on hear talkin about the Boss overdrive pedals, man i got that and it sucked, too much hissing from it :( later
# 1
guitarmanxxxx
guitarmanxxxx
01/16/2004 3:08 pm
Hi Axl,
tsl 60 is a nice amp, I never cared much for boss pedals, theres a few good ones out there like there delay Ive heard a lot of good things about, but not much on there overdrive and distortion pedals. I have a SIB varydrive that I absolutely love, its quiet, also has true bypass, and built like a tank, you can pick one up on harmony central used for around $160.00 try it you'll like it!!
talk at ya later, Guitarmanxxxx
guitarmanxxxx
# 2
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
01/17/2004 1:26 am
I dont like to mess around with my tone, cos like i say its really natural, and the les paul classic I got is aweosome. So guitarmanxxxx, your new to this forum, whats your story? Im 20, from Scotland, at uni, and am a big fan of 80s cheesy rock! :)
# 3
guitarmanxxxx
guitarmanxxxx
01/17/2004 2:33 am
Axl,
I am 48, damn that sounds old,ha ha, Im still a teenager at heart though, I love 80s music to, also 60s 70s stuff. There is some new stuff I like, but mainly the above. I live in the usa. in the state of Indiana. I play on a gibson custom les paul I bought new in 1980, this is my main squeeze guitar. I also have a jackson guitar I keep tuned down half step to play on certain songs. I have a marshall 50 watt plexi ri.I use to run into a marshall 4x12 ax with the greenbacks,now Ihave a marshall studio 15 I just got that I use because the 50 watt was to much for the size of my studio 24x24. SIB Varydrive, and a PA. system,and miscelanious pedals. I just built a recording studio [jam room]next to my house, what a treat, Im having a blast. I dont play out any more, [kind of miss it]been about ten years ago last time.Never been to Scotland but seen some of it on tv.[nice babes]there. I have 4 kids, 2 boys 12 and 13 and 2 girls 18 and 19. Well thats pretty much whats going on with me. I live to rock, and I rock to live ! Nice talkin to ya again. [ROCK ON] Guitarmanxxx
guitarmanxxxx
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/17/2004 4:42 am
I'm 51, and that sounds a whole lot older than it feels. I haven't 'played for pay' since '71 (when I got kicked out of the AF of M (for non-payment of dues). But I love playing. And it's such a treat to share experiences with other players from around the world! I live in Calgary, Alberta these days, but I grew up in Ontario. I won't list my gear 'cause it's already been posted (use the search icon at the upper right of this page).

It's been gratifying to get some backing from other players for my assertion that you don't need a gazillion Watts to get good tone. I just jam ocasionally with some buds these days, but I intend to put another band together with small amps all 'round - I'm tempted to say that's just to 'prove a point', but there's something unique about the interaction among players in a band that I just gotta have!

Besides, if you're just playing with yourself, you're not making music - you're ***turbating! :)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
guitarmanxxxx
guitarmanxxxx
01/17/2004 11:22 am
nice to meet you Lordofthestrings, I liked your post on low wattage amps,I figured it had allready been talked about on here, but never hurts to keep it going, it will sink in some day. I miss playin out too, Im like you , get together with buddies about once every couple a weeks or so. I still play 3 or 4 days a week by myself, you know what I hate worse than anything about that? using a freaking drum machine, nothing beats a real drummer! I just looked at the clock, gotta go or Im gonna be late for work, did I mention work sucks ha. talk at ya later Lord [ ROCK ON ]
Guitarmanxxxx
guitarmanxxxx
# 6
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
01/17/2004 11:49 pm
Originally posted by Axl_Rose
I dont like to mess around with my tone, cos like i say its really natural, and the les paul classic I got is aweosome. So guitarmanxxxx, your new to this forum, whats your story? Im 20, from Scotland, at uni, and am a big fan of 80s cheesy rock! :)

Hey Axl, Scottish accents are cool. But, you're probably thinking that we're (Canadians) the ones with accents, aren't you?

BTW, Mike Myers' Scottish accent was pretty annoying in Shrek.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 7
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
01/18/2004 1:34 pm
Ha Ha yea! Or willies accent on the simpsons! Its weird because for this site I have to type proper english! When Im on msn to my pals I talk really slang, so much so that english people cant understand me!

A typical sentance might be ,

"Aye a ken, a diny wan tae gan oot cos thers pure f@ckin hunners o tinnies in tha fridge gadge" :D

That means... "Yes Im aware of that, but Id rather have a night in as we have a healthy supply of cans of beer in the fridge, pal" :)

Jeez you should hear my after the summer break from uni, I go back and type slang in ma essays :(
# 8
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
01/18/2004 1:39 pm
Actually, right now in scotland, here are some of the frequently used terms for the word "friend"...

Gadge, pal, neebs, neebor, laud, son, wee man, big man, chief...

People who use all those terms are known as "neds", the come from Glasgow, support Celtic or Rangers, where cheap gold chains and rings, addidas trainers, track suits, baseball caps, and like dance music! :)
# 9
Death55
Death55
01/18/2004 4:40 pm
Originally posted by Axl_Rose

People who use all those terms are known as "neds", the come from Glasgow, support Celtic or Rangers, where cheap gold chains and rings, addidas trainers, track suits, baseball caps, and like dance music! :)

Hey axl, over here we call those people "townies" usually and me and all my friends hate them :)

Where abouts do you live in scotland ? My friend lives up there and talks like you do on msn to me and i never know what she is on about.
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 10
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
01/18/2004 4:51 pm
I live about 20 miles from Edinburgh! And go to St Andrews Uni. You mighta heard of St Andrews cos it has one of the most famous golf courses there. Half the students skive lectures every year to watch the celebrity golf tournaments! We saw Catherine Zeta Jones n Michael Douglas last year :)
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.