Non-guitar music for helping play guitar

Fruitbat
Fruitbat
01/12/2004 5:16 pm
I tend to get most of my ideas for guitar playing from listening to music that doesnt really feature guitar. that way I hope I can largely avoid sounding like a pale imitation of Satch and other players I respect. I find the best stuff is bluegrass banjo, which helps with alternative tunings and high speed finger picking and use of thumb pick. Listening to jazz piano and transposing tunes onto guitar definitely helps with picking simultaneous bass and melody lines. Listening to drum based stuff is great for beating out rhythms on top of guitar strings in a Michael Hedges stylee. Anyone else get inspiration like this?
# 1
Death55
Death55
01/12/2004 10:38 pm
I think lots of guitarists do. Usually there influence is from classical music though, such as bach and other classical composers. These people such as michael angelo will then write neoclassical style music for guitar. I think what your doing it probably quite similar.
I sometimes do the same. If i hear some nice piano piece i sometimes wonder what it would sound like on guitar.
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 2
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
01/13/2004 4:33 pm
Micheal Brecker! Anytime I need some type of inspiration I can usually find it by listening to his sax playing.
# 3
sambob
sambob
01/13/2004 5:25 pm
John Coltrane!

I recommend trying out his slower tracks first though, Coltrane style swing often gets up over 150 bpm
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.