Having trouble with the No More Tears solo

Slasher
Slasher
01/11/2004 10:12 pm
The end part that sounds real fast and is tabed out as follows:

E 13 10 13 10 x4 17 15 17 15
B ..................13 10 ..................17 15 etc...

I cant seem to play it so it sounds right. Probably because I cant get enough speed on it. What would be the best way to play it. Pull offs, straight forward alt picking or perhaps tapping it?

[Edited by Slasher on 01-11-2004 at 04:22 PM]
Remember, the chickens that fly will always beat the rubber plants that bounce!
# 1
TheDirt
TheDirt
01/12/2004 5:30 pm
Well, listening to the solo, it sounds like it's alternate picking and slightly palm muted triplets. Make sure you get the triplet phrasing - that's what makes the passage. Practice slowly with a metronome.

One thing you can do to help you if you can't pick that fast, is use legato. To get the triplet sound while still using mostly legato, you must accent the first and fourth notes of the pattern . Pick the 1st note, pull off, hammer on, pick the 4th note, then pick the 5th lightly (since it's on another string) and pull off. That's kind of the cheater's way. I'd suggest just practicing your alternate picking until you can tackle this.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 2
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/12/2004 7:23 pm
Definitely alt. picking if you can. Zakk Wylde is a fan of playing everything precisely picked, and to not miss a note while doing it. He straid away from legato cuz he liked the sound of picking better, plus he uses a lot of legato when playing the stuff that randy did...
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.