PAIN

Seve420
Seve420
01/10/2004 6:27 am
Just a few days ago I started to play 5 string sweeps after playing 3 string sweeps for a few weeks and I'm OK (triplets at 160bpm ) but at first I had trouble reaching up to the 19th fret on the A string with my pinky so I tightened my strap to raise the guitar to make it easier, which it did do and I found it alot more comfortable playing other stuff to, but since then I've been getting pains in the back of my left hand (I'm right handed) after playing for about 30 min. Not that I don't get little aches after playing for a while but I haven't hurt this much since my first week of playing where I practiced till my fingertips bled.

Should I lower the guitar back or just take a rest for a couple of days seeing as I usually play about 5 hours a day during the holidays and about 2-3 hours when schools on. I've only gone about 5 days all up with out playing since I first got my guitar too (a year coming up this week). Or should I just push through the pain and keep playing?
Latest News: Bird and bee have sex with disastrous results
# 1

01/10/2004 1:35 pm

never play through the pain, if you feel pain and you need to stop cause it hurst too much, you've already gone too far.

You're probably working your way to a nice "tendinites" I'm not sure how it's called in english but your screwing up your tendons :)

I've seen players out for 8 months because of it.

Feeling warmth is ok, feeling pain is just not right.

If you do long periods of practicing, just do shorter periods of different exercises. If 30 minutes hurst, do 15-20 minutes. Alternate between exercises that requires streching and let's say chords progression exercises or pentatonic scales exercises.

It's only a matter of changing the stress in your hand. Also, just like school take breaks. Don't go past 45 minutes without a small 10-15 minute break.

Personnaly I never did practice sessions that are more than 1 hour. I always try to mix practice and improv in a 1/1 factor. If I practice 30 minutes I jam over various backing tracks for 30 minutes. Practice is good, being able to jam over any backing track is priceless :)

Just stay away for pains, warmup first. Nobody is the same way so one may be able to play 3 hours straight but another only 30 minutes. I'm more of a 30-45 minutes kinda-guy, pass that I don't have the concentration and I slowly mess up my execution.

Hope this helps.

Btw: I play with a short strap, gives me less pain because my wrist is not bent as much as keeping a low strap.
# 2
metal_carnage
metal_carnage
01/10/2004 9:05 pm
maybe you should just sit down and practise.

I find it more comfortable to practise sitting down rather than standing up.

Also the angle of your wrist will be more comfortable.
# 3
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
01/11/2004 7:15 pm
I agree man...never play through pain, I had a friend who built up tendonitis by trying to strengthen his hands using weird techniques, he was unable to move his hand fully for a few months, and ofcourse this meant no jamming as well.

But, I find that playing with your guitar higher is generally easier (although less stylish) than having your strap set long.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 4
Death55
Death55
01/12/2004 11:06 am
If you are are feeling pain then change your hand position ... make sure you have a straight wrist.
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.