dark arpeggios

Marauder
Marauder
01/10/2004 1:41 am
what are some dark arpeggio combinations? stuff like Dimmu Borgir or Nevermore and bands like that use? I am practicing using exercises but they all sound too @#$$ing happy. I need darkness......MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA .......emmm......right.......
# 1
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
01/10/2004 4:27 am
Playing something that sounds dark has more to do with your tone and how you play. You can make the major scale sound dark. One chord arpeggio the sounds kinda dark is the m/maj7 arp. Used alot in harmonic minor and melodic minor tunes. Say C is your starting note (root), the sequence is C, Eb, G, B. Played harmonically, as in a chord, this is the simplest, most freightening sounding chord there is. It's actually used in alot of horror movie scores. The diminished arps are quite dark also. Add this to the m/maj 7 arp by playing this...

Cm/maj7 Bdim7
|-------3-------3-|-------4-------4--|
|-0-1-0---0-1-0---|-0-1-0---0-1-0----|
|-----------------|------------------|
|---------1-------|---------0--------|
|-3---------------|-2----------------|
|-----------------|------------------|

Basically if you want to write darker stuff your going to have to just play until you find something that sounds cool to you. Playing melodies using alot of minor intervals will lean to a darker sound, also tri-tones are good stepping stones from phrase to phrase.

"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 2
Marauder
Marauder
01/10/2004 10:56 pm
thanks for the reply. I know what you mean about 'how you play it'. I am in a band right now and we write REALLY dark music but most of it I come up with by just messing around. I just would like to know what it is I am actually doing sometimes hehehehe
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.