Another pickup question

Hammurabi
Hammurabi
01/03/2004 11:45 pm
Would it be possible to get a duncan sh-4 JB and a SH-2n set up with a coil tap? They're both Alnico 5, if I remember right.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/04/2004 2:41 am
If they come with a 4-wire cable, you can hook 'em up any way you want to. You can't coil-tap unless you at least have access to the connection between the two coils (3-wire). I prefer series/parallel connections, but for that you need a proper 4-wire cable.

Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
01/04/2004 6:07 pm
I though a coil tap did switch between series and parallel. Now I'm all confused :(

help?
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/04/2004 7:37 pm
Originally posted by Hammurabi
I though a coil tap did switch between series and parallel. Now I'm all confused :(

help?
A coil tap switch simply disables one of the humbucker's coils, usually by shorting it out. This leaves just one coil working, so you get a single-coil sound, along with the usual noise problems.

Series connection of a humbucker's coils gives you the full output voltage, high impedance 'humbucker' sound.

Parallel connection of a humbucker's coils gives you half the output voltage, half the impedance, and something close to a single-coil sound, while still cancelling hum.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 4
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
01/04/2004 8:08 pm
How close is parallel to single coil? Is it close enough to pass as single coil or is it just closer?

Also, on my guitar there is a push/pull coil tap. It's always kinda fun using it becuase everyone probably thinks my tone knob is falling off. Would it be possible to set it up to switch between series and parallel instead of doing coil tap? And would this be a complex surgical operation or is it something I could do on my own?
-A.H.
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/08/2004 5:30 am
Three Double-Pole-Double-Throw (DPDT) switches will handle the task. One for each pickup to select series/Parallel. One to reverse the Phase of one pickup releative to the other. The switches can be push-pull pots or separate switches.

The DiMarzio website has wiring diagrams to show how it's done. Click on 'Pickups' and then select "Installation and wiring".

If you're not familiar with soldering small wires, you should get a tech to do the installation.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 6
the fool
the fool
01/10/2004 4:37 am
what kind of guitar are you using? as long as not its not an lp like mine, you can use a varitone switch, it's a different mod but it achieves the same single coil sound while giving you a lot of tonal possibilities. Certain 335's got one of these installed- BB King has one on his Lucille. You'll also find it in Gibson Blueshawks. Try one if they have these guitars on your local music store and tell me what you think.
"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 7
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
01/10/2004 11:56 pm
It's a cort cl-1000. It's kinda similar to a gibson guitar, mahogany neck and body with a maple top.

I don't think there's a gibson vendor for about half a state in any direction, so I don't think I'll be able to try out the varitone switch on those. Does any other company use it?
-A.H.
# 8
the fool
the fool
01/11/2004 4:44 am
I don't know of anymore guitars that use them- most of the guitars that I know that use them are no- name, custom made guitars. If you're comfortable ordering online though, I know http://www.bigdguitars.com sells them the cheapest- for a quarter of the price that Gibson sells them. I also know that torres engineering has their own version- the deluxe varitone- its a bit more expensive than bigdguitar's and less expensive than the Gibson ones, but this is the best one that i know off- you can get more cool sounds than other varitones. I was actually planning on installing it on my lp hollowbody but the guys over there that their varitone fits a variety of guitars except Gibson les paul models because there's a lot of routing required. Now, only problem is, I don't know if its going to fit your guitar. But don't lose hope- it can be done. I've seen a couple of modded Gibson lps with varitone switches- I just don't know if they're using torres ones though. Try emailing them and ask if their deluxe varitone can fit your guitar. They reply pretty quick- won't take more than a day.
"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.