Tom Morello and stuff

progg
progg
01/03/2004 4:36 pm
To me it seems like a lot of people don't think he's not much of a guitarist. Maybe not a raving shredder but I find his riffs awesome to say atleast. IMO the RATM debutalbum is a masterpiece. Very much kick-ass to say atleast. Do one have to play like the big shredders to be a good guitarists? I certainly don't think so. I find them the ones making lousier music than many that don't do anything just to be a bitchin player with superiour techniques. Slash have done quite awesome songs for instance, IMO again, and is far from a guitar God when it comes to technical playing.

I find it very interesting, education and motivational to see good players shred and do freaky stuff -- I'm still a guitarplayer and I like to put in a higher gear quite often too if possible. I think it's healthy for my playing and insight in music to see, hear and learn from other musicians (guitarists in my case since frankly I'm only focusing on the guitar when I think music) but I would wake up crying if I was to know I would only hear music from Yngwie, SRV and such technical guitarists.

Ah well. Just some of my thoughts. Tap-on!

Don't look at me, swan!
# 1
DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
01/03/2004 5:19 pm
I agree 98% with what you say... I love tom Morrello. I much rather listen to a innovative guitar player or an emotional guitar playing than constant shred. Thats why i enjoy lots of the old 70,s 60,s classic rock songs..... Just a good bunch of ppl get together and write a nice song ( Boston, Lynard Skynard, 38 special). You do not find that now adays ( linkin Park , White Stripes. They have no songwrting skills at all.

But what happened in the 80's wasa good and bad in a way... Great guitarists emerged..... but after a while they all sounded the same. All the same shred.... but in different keys and ect.

Nowadays it's hard to find NEW guitarists that can actually play there instrument and don't sound exactly like the next one.

And SRV is nowhere near yngwie.... SRV (master) blows him in the dust. IMO
Member of band: Amphiptere (am-fi-teer)
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
I am: Lead guitar
# 2
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
01/03/2004 5:32 pm
yes,simplicity can sound good.Not everything has to be warp speed or finger/brain twisting and complex.Is tom a good guitarist?Yeah he is... but is his talent used to its fullest?I think not.

Many guitarists are limited by the platform in which they play.I thinks its safe to say that tom plays to a mainstream audience that requires him to hold back his abilitys.The same goes for other mainstream guitarists.
I'm sure many guitarists including tom have had to scrap killer riffs and solos(fast and slow)becuase of the restraints of musically stupid/ignorant/un-educated people and producers.

I would wake up crying if I knew I could only listen to a mass ideal of good music,with limited expression and no freedom to create whatever pleases the 'musicians',but only the targeted audience.
Pull off!

[Edited by chucklivesoninmyheart on 01-03-2004 at 11:37 AM]
Try once,fail twice...
# 3
jealousblues
jealousblues
01/03/2004 6:58 pm
I do like tom and love Rage...esp the first album. But I always thought he was a little over rated. (im no shreader) but I do like what he does. Interesting note his guitar solo on like a stone (i think thats the one) reminds me of something off of Achtung baby. By another guitarist who isnt the best player but does something cool with what he has...which I suppose makes him a great players.
Have you noticed that the best songs always seem be the most simple take, the classic song, "batman"... I mean its just Batman and Na...
# 4
finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
01/03/2004 7:51 pm
Certainly what makes Morello a good guitarist is not his technical ability, but rather his innovation. Of course, I'm not denying that he can play well. I'm sure he could really let loose if he wanted to (seeing as he was trained in classical theory I'm pretty sure---correct me if I'm wrong). But it's his amazing innovative techniques (ie. making the guitar sound like a synthesizer, a turn-table, and so forth without any help from guitar synths or auxillary equipment) that really sets his playing apart from most other guitarists.
# 5
Death55
Death55
01/03/2004 8:05 pm
Tom Morello is good at what he does and he is unique which i think is good. I know i did hear that he can actually shred because someone on this forum told me. I mean he was taught by michael angelo. Maybe he shouldnt start shredding again but maybe try and put a bit more technicality into his playing a bit more often to sound better. I guess thats the hidden talent that is being held back by being stuck in the mainstream music business.
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 6
progg
progg
01/03/2004 8:11 pm
Originally posted by chucklivesoninmyheart
yes,simplicity can sound good.Not everything has to be warp speed or finger/brain twisting and complex.Is tom a good guitarist?Yeah he is... but is his talent used to its fullest?I think not.

Many guitarists are limited by the platform in which they play.I thinks its safe to say that tom plays to a mainstream audience that requires him to hold back his abilitys.

First, thanks for your thoughts. It's always interesting to discuss things like this.

For me, I don't see Tom as having that simple guitartechniques. I think he's good with what he's doing. It's not super fast and over the top as with many others. His sound is just awesome. Any others that are as innovative as him I should check out? In the same genre that is. Of course there are thousands of geniuses strumming this lovely instrument.

I wouldn't know if Tom has any pressure on his playing due to any mainstream stuff or whatever so I won't comment on that. I hope he doesn't feel that atleast. And, sadly, I haven't listened to Audioslave other than those singles they play on the radio. Maybe I should take a peak at it.

Thanks again for your thoughts on this.
Don't look at me, swan!
# 7
FunkadelicStarChild
FunkadelicStarChild
01/03/2004 10:02 pm
i agree that tom is a great guitar player but it really isnt all that impressive to me. The things he does, you can literally give a guitar to someone who has never played before and say, "Here, do this!" they could literally immulate his style.
# 8
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
01/04/2004 2:55 am
I think all Tom morello fans should give a listen to...

Mattias I.A eklundh(I think I got the spelling right).
He dosn't use any super-fx and has a very unique style of playing.Hes also a real technical nut with great alternate picking and sweeping... hes from sweden,so what would you expect?
He did a guest solo on 'Soilworks; first album(thier best IMO)'steelbath suicide'.I think the song is 'wings of domain'.It also happens to be the best solo on the album(IMO).

Try once,fail twice...
# 9
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
01/04/2004 11:49 am
Originally posted by chucklivesoninmyheart
I think all Tom morello fans should give a listen to...

Mattias I.A eklundh(I think I got the spelling right).
He dosn't use any super-fx and has a very unique style of playing.Hes also a real technical nut with great alternate picking and sweeping... hes from sweden,so what would you expect?
He did a guest solo on 'Soilworks; first album(thier best IMO)'steelbath suicide'.I think the song is 'wings of domain'.It also happens to be the best solo on the album(IMO).

I've been stuck on Mattias IA Eklundh all week man. I just got his album, freak guitar and it's chalk-full of mazing things.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 10
Wildercyde
Wildercyde
09/26/2005 6:17 am
Originally Posted by: FunkadelicStarChildThe things he does, you can literally give a guitar to someone who has never played before and say, "Here, do this!" they could literally immulate his style.

I certainly think not!

First off, it requires a Whammy pedal to do over half the riffs he pulls off. On top of that, there is a real trick to the sounds he creates. He's more or less playing the guitar as a DJ with all the noise tricks he does. Anyone can generate random noise, but not just anyone can actually harness that noise and make it musical like he does.

And Tom is in fact a shredder. Listen to the solo on "Take The Power Back" on the first album. He definitely shreds it up there with his speed picking and fast scale runs.

Jon
# 11
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
09/26/2005 2:22 pm
I've been re-rediscovering Tom's guitar ability. I love all his work on the First Rage album!
My YouTube Profile
# 12
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
09/26/2005 5:20 pm
Originally Posted by: WildercydeI certainly think not!

First off, it requires a Whammy pedal to do over half the riffs he pulls off. On top of that, there is a real trick to the sounds he creates. He's more or less playing the guitar as a DJ with all the noise tricks he does. Anyone can generate random noise, but not just anyone can actually harness that noise and make it musical like he does.

And Tom is in fact a shredder. Listen to the solo on "Take The Power Back" on the first album. He definitely shreds it up there with his speed picking and fast scale runs.

Jon

Also, in Darkness, he uses the slide then starts to shred slowly.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 13
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
09/27/2005 2:16 pm
I agree with you Akira. I could listen to Tom play all day, whereas I could listen to an overly technical guitar player for about a song or two before I'd have to turn it off.
My YouTube Profile
# 14
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
09/27/2005 3:59 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraI doubt it, I mean, he isn't an overly technical player, but I wouldn't go as far to say that anyone could play his stuff even if they've never played a guitar before.

Actually, if we're to go by the word of the likes of Les Claypool, he is a very technical player who just choses not to.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.