pinch harmonics?

progg
progg
01/03/2004 4:21 pm
This is like a artificial harmonics with vibrato? That's what I get from reading people's explaination from the tricksarchive.
Don't look at me, swan!
# 1
Death55
Death55
01/03/2004 8:27 pm
i thought they were the same thing. Just picking the string and letting your skin on your thumb just touch the string. Which is an artificial harmonic and also can be called a pinch harmonic. Thats what i thought. Oh well, as long as i can do them :)
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 2
progg
progg
01/03/2004 9:10 pm
Originally posted by Death55
i thought they were the same thing. Just picking the string and letting your skin on your thumb just touch the string. Which is an artificial harmonic and also can be called a pinch harmonic. Thats what i thought. Oh well, as long as i can do them :)

Still don't know really. I was wondering what the "pinch" comes in. Ah well. I use that all the time and it owns. Not really Zakk Wylde:ish yet but I'm getting there =)
Don't look at me, swan!
# 3
finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
01/04/2004 2:07 am
Do a search on this topic. It has already been covered before. No, artificial harmonics are nothing similar to pinch harmonics. They're completely different. Artificial harmonics are created anywhere on the fretboard by fretting with one hand while simultaneously using your index finger and thumb of your picking hand to touch the harmonic interval while plucking the string. If that doesn't make sense, it's because it's a rather hard concept to explain without visual aid. Point is, pinch harmonics and artificial harmonics are way different.
# 4
Death55
Death55
01/04/2004 9:25 pm
Originally posted by finger_cruncher
Point is, pinch harmonics and artificial harmonics are way different.

I've just looked pinch harmonics up on the forums and from the description i got it seems they are exactly the same as pinch harmonics ! Both where you play a note and let the edge of your thumb touch the string slightly.
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 5
Death55
Death55
01/04/2004 9:27 pm
I meant pinch harmonics are exactly the same as artificial harmonics not pinch harmonics are the same as pinch harmonics.
# 6
finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
01/04/2004 10:54 pm
I'm sorry, Death55, but you're wrong. This is a common misconception among guitarists, but pinch harmonics and artificial harmonics are two very different things. If you read that they are the same in a different thread, then those guys were wrong too. I've taken the time to draw a diagram explaining artificial harmonics. I really hope you appreciate this, as it took me quite a while to draw in MS Paint. lol. Here's the diagram:

http://www.electricblueseuphoria.com/DAB/artificialharmonics4dummies.jpg

Hope that helps. :)

Matt
# 7
metalman_6
metalman_6
01/04/2004 11:37 pm
there's much debate about this all over the net. that's because both methods are an "artificial" harmonic, meaning they aren't a real harmonic. Officially, an artificial harmonic is where you fret a note and with your picking hand you use your index finger to lightly touch the string at another fret (ex. 12 frets above fretted note), while picking with your thumb. Pinch harmonics are where you dig in to the string with your thumb with your picking hand. Most guitar tab books will use these terms as I have described. However, if you say "artificial harmonics," many guitarists would interpret this as how I have described pinch harmonics. So it is best to clarify. :)

If anyone knows of any good examples of artificial harmonics please post artist - song name. I think Satriani has some stuff. For pinch harmonics, anything with Zakk Wylde.
# 8
progg
progg
01/05/2004 6:49 am
Originally posted by finger_cruncher
I'm sorry, Death55, but you're wrong. This is a common misconception among guitarists, but pinch harmonics and artificial harmonics are two very different things. If you read that they are the same in a different thread, then those guys were wrong too. I've taken the time to draw a diagram explaining artificial harmonics. I really hope you appreciate this, as it took me quite a while to draw in MS Paint. lol. Here's the diagram:

Hope that helps. :)

Thank you! Finally this is clear to me. And yes, seems like I wasn't the only lost soul on this subject. It feels like a relief =) My day is already better. Thanks again!
Don't look at me, swan!
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.