bright pickups

concrete chaos
concrete chaos
12/30/2003 10:49 pm
i was talking to this guy and he said that fender usually have bright pick ups, thats why 0.9 strings would sound better than .10 ??

i have a strat with 2 single and one di marzio hum. pickup
with .10 strings.....
cus im hving a bit of sound trouble where i get too much gain, and bass and bright treble.....
any comments from the techs ??

'i dont have low self esteem, it's a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else' - Daria
# 1
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
12/30/2003 11:15 pm
Single coils are brighter,but at the same time a bridge humbucker is too.10's I find to be a smidge darker than 9's,but I doubt that your strings are causing you problems.
What kind of amp are you using and what settings?
Any increase in bass will usually mellow any shrill treble... Is it the gain still shrill with your neck pickup?
Not enough info to troubleshoot.
From what it sounds like,you should adjust your pickups lower if there too high(the metal slugs being closer than around 1/15th of an inch is too high...I think).Check your amp settings and well...give more info.
Try once,fail twice...
# 2
concrete chaos
concrete chaos
12/30/2003 11:58 pm
well i have a marshal 100w vs 2000 avt series. i dont have a range of effect pedals [yet....mainly cus of my lack of knowledge so far] but i have a digitech metal zone.

i usually use the pedal on clean. with low gain, volume mid, presence full, master volume a bit higher than mid. and the volume and tone knobs on the guitar at full.

when i dont use the pedal...and just use clean i put the gain a bit higher, and have the treble low, the middle in the middle hehe, and bass almost full depends how deep i want the sound to be.

and when i use the od's i have their gain on high to get more of a crunch, treble and bass again depending on the preference...

but mostly i find no difference when i turn down the tone knobs on my guitar. i always have presence on full, and mostly i use the hum pickup cus the single ones tend to sound more like dirty, if i can use that as a description..... i hope this is sufficient info....

but specially when i use the pedal i get a lot of noise...ok i know theres noise reducers but i wanan be sure its not my lacking before i go and get loads of equippment ive basically only had the electric for a year..and im still looking for a nice sound.

so someone will ask me what sound are you looking for, but i cant give a straight answer to that cus it always depends on what i feel like expressing....i listen to loads of trash and metal and i luv that type sounding guitar but i also listen to a lot of proggressive and psychadelic, basically i dont have a style yet im more concerned with being versatile and doing what i feel like.

so yea maybe the guitar i have doesnt cater for most styles but im not getting another till i know what i exactly want, this one was my first electric so i was like damn which one do i get....since i always liked fender i chose that to start...
'i dont have low self esteem, it's a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else' - Daria
# 3
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
12/31/2003 12:06 am
You could try raising the pickup, to be closer to the strings. Just turn the screws around the pickup "in".
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 4
Guitar-Sam
Guitar-Sam
12/31/2003 4:47 am
If your haveing a harsh bright problem its prolly the maxed out presence knob.Presence on a Marshall tends to make things bright and brings out the buzzyness of the pream's distortion.
I use a JB humbucker equiped strat into a 50watt Marshall and 100w cab.My settimngs are Presence 4,Bass 6,Middle 4,treble 4 1/4 try this as a starting point with your gains set to your taste.You'll have to tweak as you have a diffenant setup but this is approx were most of my Marshalls end up with a HSS strat.
Certiied Stratocaster NUT!!
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.