SSH Configuration With Duncan Humbucker

Gewceboks
Gewceboks
12/26/2003 2:04 pm
Hey guys, i need a little help

I just bought a Duncan SH-8 Invader, and I'm having some trouble installing it. I used Seymour Duncan's "1 Hum, 2 SCs, 1 Vol, 2 Tones, 1 selector switch and coil tap in the # 4" (located on their site) configuration. I'm sure I wired it right, but i still get an annoying hum. I did notice that i cancelled the hum on my mid and neck pickups if i turned down the tones, so I'm thinking if i wire the tone to the bridge pickup, it should do the same. Is this a good idea?

Second thing,I noticed that in the diagrams, the tone pots and volume pot aren't soldered together, but mine is (under the pots). Is this the normal configuration?

Thanks a lot

# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/26/2003 4:48 pm
I think you have a 'ground loop'. This a condition where there is more than one path to ground from some part of the circuit. Check your wiring carefully. It will help if you draw what you have (it may turn out to be different from what you think you have). The sleeve of the jack is where your guitar connects to the amplifier ground. All ground coonnections in your guitar should go as directly as possible to that point.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Gewceboks
Gewceboks
12/26/2003 5:42 pm
And so the ground loop was my problem. The diagram showed the red and white cables tied together and soldered to the lever. But i looked at it again and realized that I should take it off. Now it's crystal clear. Thanks a lot Lordathestrings!! I'll make sure I recommend you to all of my guitar buddies. Thanks again! :-D
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.