Distortion boxs

Guitar-Sam
Guitar-Sam
12/24/2003 2:56 pm
What is a good distortion box for metal?
Rightnow I have my Marshall amp set for a clean natural overdrive,master volume up,gain down.
I need a distortion that will boost what I've got and add a little distortion and thicken up my sound,yet retain clearity and cut.
So far I've tried a TS 7 tone-lok Ibanez tube screamer,but it didn't give me what I need.When I turned up the gain it got too dirty and when I turned up the leval it gave a nice boost but would drive the amp to hard and I'd get uncontrolled feedback when ever I stoped.
I'm thnking of tying an MWR distortion plus and I've also been recomended a Boss metal zone.Any word on these??
Certiied Stratocaster NUT!!
# 1
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/24/2003 3:27 pm
I don't think the Metal Zone is what you're looking for... that's a distortion in it's own right. It won't work well with amp distortion (well, I do it, but that's 'cause I think it sounds cool, it's not a very "nice" distortion).

I've read a lot about the Fulltone FatBoost. Here's the manufacturer's link: Click here

But I've also read some reviews that say that there are other, better products. I have yet to try the FatBoost or other similar products, so I can't say for sure. However, the FatBoost does sound like what you're looking for.

I've used an EQ pedal before as a boost, also my compressor can do some interesting things and help me cut through the mix, too.

What other effects are in your chain?
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 2
Guitar-Sam
Guitar-Sam
12/24/2003 3:50 pm
I run a strat w/ a Duncan JB into a Samson VHF wireless,Vox wah,Digitech X series delay,old ibanez chorus.Then into a JCM900 SL-X head and 100W greenback loaded Marshall cab.
Basically I'm a old school rock guitar player,thats gonna be plaing in a metal band in the vain of Fight,Anthrax etc..
I'm trying to come up with a compromise between the sweet, clean,midrange barking tone I like and the distorted,full bottom end tone the band needs.
I want to find a box this way I have mine tone then just a box that will add some lowend and fuzzyness.
Certiied Stratocaster NUT!!
# 3
Jammer963
Jammer963
12/26/2003 1:35 am
Check out the MXR distortion OR THE GRUNGE pedal by dod cheep but effective.Musiciansfriend.com has some sound bites you can check out.
# 4
Jammer963
Jammer963
12/28/2003 12:26 am
Thats pretty funny but I use the boss distortion for a paper weight.It was my first pedal when I started playing many moons ago,Its ok If you play old rock stuff, to each his own.But in my opinion its good to have a variety of distorts.
# 5
kronborg
kronborg
12/29/2003 11:27 am
Originally posted by PonyOne
You may want to look at the Boss OD-2 Overdrive pedal (I think that's the one; it's the orange one that goes for about $40). It will give you a boost but it's not overwhelmingly heavy. It's a very tried and true sound, used by a large number of altrock bands. You can hear it in the solo to Heart Shaped Box by Nirvana.

I'm pretty sure that "the orange one", is the DS-1. If you're looking for a boost, then check the boss OD-3... Nice overdrive, bur figures very nice as a booster also!
I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every panda that didn't want to screw to save it's species..
# 6
the fool
the fool
12/30/2003 3:43 am
i have to agree with pony. I have a DOD grunge and it sucks. I feel that it doesn't have any body.

What kind of distortion are you looking for? what's your budget? The Boss OD- 3 is really good but I'm not sure if its expensive there. Do you have a tube amp? If you do, why don't you just buy a bhm 1 amp- its vox's version of the brian may deacy amp and its very good at over driving tube amps- you can get a nice smooth thick bright over driven sound without losing the body. It's pretty cheap too. I got mine new for only 210 canadian dollars so I'm pretty sure its cheaper in the US. Or, instead of spending over 300 dollars for an individual pedal, why not just buy a decent multi effects pedal. I just saw a korg ax 1500g for 199 US dollars in the net. They say its used by satriani. I just ordered one from the store after trying my cousin's. The distortion effects are awesome- especially the mesa boogie recto! The quantity and quality of the effects is superb for such a cheap price.

"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.