Need some advice

Spacko
Spacko
12/21/2003 8:09 pm
Ok ive been playing guitar for about 4 years of and on. I dont know much theory. i know some stuff from two gutar classes i had in high school. So which should i learn when it comes to scales and modes and all? Post some advice please it is greatly appreciated. thankx
# 1
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
12/21/2003 8:42 pm
Basically all you need to learn for non-guitarists to think you're awesome are the major and minor pentatonic scales. Just learn the notes each is comprised of, the order of sharps and flats, and, once you've done all that, learn the natural minor and major scales. Then you can go on to learn all your modes, the history behind them and whatnot, but if I were you, I'd start out with the first few things I said.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 2
Death55
Death55
12/21/2003 8:53 pm
I first started off learning the pentatonic scales. Then went on to the major and minor scales. I'm now learning about modes. Different scales and modes can be used for different styles of song. So once you have learnt them you can choose which one you want to use depending on the style of song. You will also need to understand how they work with cords too.
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 3
Spacko
Spacko
12/21/2003 10:53 pm
arent all pentatonic scale forms the same? just in different frets and positions? is a scale named c if the first note is a c? thankx for the advise
# 4
Death55
Death55
12/24/2003 10:24 pm
yes. If the scale starts on the note C then it will be in the key of C. C will be its root note. There are 5 pentatonic scales, so there are five different pentatonic shapes.
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.