Problems with strings

Fenderman
Fenderman
12/14/2003 5:30 pm
Please help me. My High E string is always popping, and I don't think my local retailer sales single strings. Is it because my Fender Tele. dosn't go well with GHS Medium Strings? Please help me!!!
Did you know that the wallpaper talks.SHHH! Who said that?
# 1
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/15/2003 12:31 am
A lot of shops sell single strings. It shouldn't be a problem getting them.

It could be a couple things. Is it a fender squire of the actual tele line?
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 2
daveasdf
daveasdf
12/15/2003 12:43 am
My sensei warned "Ye who fail to wrap your high strings many many times around the little metal pole sticking out of your guitar head will most likely encounter many many broken strings." And I wrapped them around many times and have broken a negligible amount of them in my life.

... I don't know if that's the problem or not but unless you wrap them around until you can't anymore, odds are they're going to bust. From my experience anyway.

[Edited by daveasdf on 12-14-2003 at 06:45 PM]
# 3
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
12/15/2003 1:00 am
I have a Tele and use GHS strings. My high E string always used to break too. Make sure the string is wrapped around the tuning peg properly, and make sure the saddles aren't too far forward. The saddles are what were causing my string to break.

Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 4
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/15/2003 4:23 am
And if they're way too far forward your intonation starts to hate you, unless you can move the entire bridge or that side of it forward. I dunno, I've never actually owned on of those.

I've only broken one string in my life and that's because-
1. I was playing as loud as was physically possible because there wasn't any amplification
2. It was on a p.o.s. acoustic I bought in Mexico for $30, and it wasn't even worth that.
3. The string was several years old and extremely low quality to start with.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 5
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
12/15/2003 5:50 am
I would also try adding some lube, (graphite from pencil lead will work) to the nut (where the high E string runs through the guitar to the tuning post) and to the saddle itself.

It might be getting hung up, and do what the other said, make sure you wrap it around a couple times.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 6
Death55
Death55
12/15/2003 1:38 pm
Also make sure you dont get any kinks in the string when putting it on because that could cause a weakness in it !
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 7
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/15/2003 1:46 pm
First up where is the string breaking ? At the Nut end or at the bridge. If it is at the bridge there are several things you can do. 1) use lube like pencil led or chapstick. 2) check for sharp edged bits of metal where the strings make contact with the saddle, these need to be files off. 2) Get some graphtech string saver saddles. I use the Graphtechs and they are cool ! If your sting is breaking at the nut end consider giving it about 3 times round the peg extra wind and or a new nut (Graphtech make these also).
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.