neo classical

ketsueki15
ketsueki15
12/12/2003 3:05 am
neo means new..so i can assume that neo classical means new classical.. so i listen to a couple of "neo classical" and almost all it is some guy shredding up and down scales over and over on an electric guitar..maybe throw in a diminished arpeggio or two or an whooping A minor arp..who in the right mind gave this title (neo-classical) to someone who plays real fast scales and arps over some cheesy piano chord progression?!?!
most people who claim to play "neo-classical" music have put classical music to a shame
its rare that i ever find someone playing music that actually sounds like classical music on a electric guitar with catchy melody lines that bach would use or anything like that..maybe i havent look hard enough
what in the hell happened??
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 1
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
12/12/2003 5:41 am
I think 'neo' refers to an evolved sound(for better or worse,its up to you)...the fact is,its not bach'd out classical,but a fusion between rock e.c.t.
Ive never considerd bach and the like 'catchy',but a bit more melodic most definitley.

If you find a guitarist that can create the magic they produced,you let me know.
Try once,fail twice...
# 2
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
12/12/2003 2:27 pm
well i mean i looked up the word neo an the definition i got was "New; recent"
your right, i dont know about it being "catchy" but it definiteley melodic...
i dont think i will ever find a guitarist that could do what they do..well atleasts on an electric guitar
# 3
TheDirt
TheDirt
12/12/2003 9:02 pm
Check out Yngwie's "Concerto in Eb Minor" I'm not sure if that's the exact name, but I know it's close. That's neo-classical with catchy Bach-like lines, etc. Not just wanking over a goofy chord progression.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 4
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
12/12/2003 10:36 pm
i actually have that cd and love it..he does some wanking in the songs but not to much..he has a really good sense of melody..hes just as good on the cd as he is live
do you know of any other people?
# 5
TheWizard
TheWizard
12/13/2003 5:16 am
Yngwie composes some incredible classical music

anyone heard the album with him and a full orchestra?

amazing
Alas Gandalf lives, Middle Earth is again safe...
# 6
sambob
sambob
12/13/2003 1:41 pm
Yeah, George Bellas kind of defines neoclassical rightnow.

ketsueki15, I understand you're reasoning in assuming neoclassical is one thing, but I don't think that thing even exists. Neoclassical is more of an offshoot of metal than classical.

So you want to try out some guys like.. George Bellas, David Chastain, Vinnie Moore (his early stuff), Tony Macalpine, etc.

Of course if you want to hear redone classical music, you need Michael Harris' classic album "Distorted Views"
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.