Origins of Rock

daveasdf
daveasdf
12/08/2003 4:15 am
I came on here to post a thought I had and I see one new thread that semi-relates to it. Anyway, in my opinion, there are three styles that people draw from when delving into the rock scene: Blues, Classical, and Jazz.

I used to think that the best rock guitarists had his/her roots in blues.. well, I still do. It just sounds so much more cooler. I'm learning what I call 80s style rock for versitality sake, which I'd argue dwells primarily in classical origins of guitar playing. I'll admit that a classical based rock tune with a classical based rock solo more likely involves higher technicality/theory. I wouldn't call it better though because both involve ripping off light-speed solos that you've been going over and over forever. Would you call a lifelong classical guitar player a better guitarist than a lifelong blues guitar player? Probably. Not to mention jazz. Why do I prefer blues based rock to classical or jazz based rock? Because it's not as .. is anal the word? It's almost like comparing an artistical mind to a mathematical mind.

...I have no idea what I am trying to say. Question is, should I erase this useless thread now, or post it?
# 1
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/08/2003 4:31 am
I liked the post.

I played in a jazz band for about a year. That was..interesting. I still haven't figured out what chord type is designated by a triangle yet.

Blues is good. You know what's better? Music based on the traditional African influence that blues was partially based on.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 2
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
12/08/2003 6:07 am
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hammurabi
[B] I still haven't figured out what chord type is designated by a triangle yet.

*Major...- minor o diminished + augmented

cool thread
True, rock music is sort of a "mutt" breed of musical form.You don't have to pick just one style of music to bass your rock playing off of, try to find elements of each style that you can add in to your playing.

Blues...probably the most important aspect of this genre of music and its relationship to rock is its use of a minor scale over top of a major chord progression. Also, there is a lot of interesting rhythmic things you here in blues soloing, where the soloist is actually playing over the beat instead of locking into it, often grouing notes in 5, 6, 7, or 8 to the beat..check out Hendrixs' Voodoo child for a good example of this.

From classical music you can learn a lot of cool arpeggio ideas.
From jazz you can incorporate the use of syncopation, chromatics, and chord extensions.
# 3
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/08/2003 7:14 am
And blues is where it all starts to mean something, right?
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 4
TheDirt
TheDirt
12/08/2003 7:22 am
The triangle symbol designates a major seventh chord.

C? = C Major Seventh = C, E, G, B

(edit) I realize that the triangle showed up as a question mark after I posted; just imagine that it's a triangle. (/edit)
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 5
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/08/2003 8:17 am
That's kinda funny, becuase in the same piece there was couple other maj. 7ths that weren't marked that way.

You can run into some wierd chords in that Jazz. About the worst I've seen was like a Bsus4/A6/9aug. Honestly I think whoever wrote it either had a sick sense of humor or screwed up in writing it down. I just played-
e-0
b-5
g-4
d-2
a-0
e-5

I couldn't do anything more accurate than that.
-A.H.
# 6
kingdavid
kingdavid
12/08/2003 3:04 pm
Originally posted by Hammurabi
...You know what's better? Music based on the traditional African influence that blues was partially based on.

I'm African :)
I know some old folk around here(Kenya).
They probably wouldn't impress any wanna be american average kenyan young person,but these people can,to paraphrase Lordatherings,absolutely throw down!
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.