View post (Origins of Rock)

View thread

daveasdf
daveasdf
12/08/2003 4:15 am
I came on here to post a thought I had and I see one new thread that semi-relates to it. Anyway, in my opinion, there are three styles that people draw from when delving into the rock scene: Blues, Classical, and Jazz.

I used to think that the best rock guitarists had his/her roots in blues.. well, I still do. It just sounds so much more cooler. I'm learning what I call 80s style rock for versitality sake, which I'd argue dwells primarily in classical origins of guitar playing. I'll admit that a classical based rock tune with a classical based rock solo more likely involves higher technicality/theory. I wouldn't call it better though because both involve ripping off light-speed solos that you've been going over and over forever. Would you call a lifelong classical guitar player a better guitarist than a lifelong blues guitar player? Probably. Not to mention jazz. Why do I prefer blues based rock to classical or jazz based rock? Because it's not as .. is anal the word? It's almost like comparing an artistical mind to a mathematical mind.

...I have no idea what I am trying to say. Question is, should I erase this useless thread now, or post it?