best distortion pedal?

ura
ura
12/06/2003 11:01 pm
This christmas i am getting a pedal scince the threads around here convinced me that zoom effect pedals suck. I have one zoom pedal and I have been trying to get that metallica-like distortion wich i cant get. I have a peavey transtube 112 and a ibanez rg 320. I need a little help on how to set it up ( you know, bass,middle,treble...) so i can get the metallica distorton as close as posible. Well what i really want to know what is the best distortion pedal i can get. please pasience, I am new. My second post.
http://hiperfixia.8k.com
# 1
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/07/2003 2:02 am
Boss MT-2. Hands down the best distortion pedal in terms of popularity, flexibility, durability, tone and price.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 2
Slasher
Slasher
12/07/2003 5:21 pm
I'm gunna second the Boss Mt2 Metal Zone. Fantastic for all your metal needs, but no so good for just a touch of distortion. But if Tallicas what you wanna play. I whole heartedly recommend it.
Remember, the chickens that fly will always beat the rubber plants that bounce!
# 3
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/07/2003 9:02 pm
I'm not exactly an authority on equipment, so I guess the best I can contribute is a little advice..

Whenever you're getting anything that's going to modify your guitar's sound make sure it doesn't mask your guitar's original tonal properties. A good example would be one of those digitech multi-fx units. There are some interesting things you can do with one, but not only do they not sound very good they sound the exact same when you plug in a $2-digit squier with 2 year old stings through it as when you plug in your custom neck-through korina les paul. It's messed up.

I haven't played around with the boss metal zone yet, but I did hear it a long time ago and I recall liking it a lot. I sucked at guitar then so I would like to get my hands on one now for comparison, but I gotta save up for a coat first :(
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 4
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
12/07/2003 11:58 pm
Ughhh,man the mt2 is over-rated.I find it to be very nasal/shrill sounding.I heard a neighbor band playing and the distorted sound the guitarist had was absolutley tight and bone crushing...turns out he was using an Ibanez smashbox...
The world is upside down!!!(for me and distortion pedals anyway.)

Seriously,take a look at tech 21's tri-ac O.D or thier GT2.
Try once,fail twice...
# 5
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/08/2003 1:17 am
If I remember right John 5 of Marilyn Manson uses an Ibanez smashbox.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 6
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/08/2003 3:53 am
And a lot of it is personal style and technique. Someone I know sounds completely shrill and whinny no matter what gear he uses because he's a no-talent tone deaf phuck, whereas I almost always sound gentle and melancholy because I have a light touch and I'm smart enough not to tear through the strings with my pick like I don't care about them breaking. Which they don't for me.

It could just be that the person you heard playing it that sounded bad just plain sucked. It happens.
-A.H.
# 7
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
12/09/2003 6:41 am
I WAS PLAYING IT!!!lol...

no,its good that this post is up.I got back from jamming today and set up the nastiest tone with an mt2,ns-2 gate and dyna comp.Really tight,deep and just roaring.

Ive never got it to sound so good and ive ALWAYS ran it while on the clean channel(duck for cover if its on the lead channel!...pony is right...really retarded)...is it a coincidence that me and the band just moved into a new bigger room?

also,with my cry baby in between the mt2 and dyna comp,the wah got a WICKED mean character...awsome.

...I stand shamefully corrected.

Later! \m/
Try once,fail twice...
# 8
ura
ura
12/11/2003 8:36 pm
what about rmt-2 distortion and md2 mega distortion?
http://hiperfixia.8k.com
# 9
metal_carnage
metal_carnage
12/12/2003 11:26 am
Well now, I have seen some thread on this forum saying your equipment doenst make you sound like metallica in your case. So if you would have all Metallica's guitars and amps you would come close, but more important is your technique. And I totaly agree on that.

Im currently running on a Marshall valvestate, setting my distortion channel wide open and bass treble middle @ max
no effects, just the standard marshall distortion.
My BC Rich guitar gives an incredible raw agressive heavy metal sound :) ---> 2 BC Rich BDSM Humbuckers

When I play metallica I dont hear any difference(Espessialy the old albums like And Justice, Master etc).

So I would say Practice like a M*th*r F*ck*r because Jamyz Hetfield aint a pussy playing guitar. He is a truely underrated guitarist.
If your technique is good, and your using fairly good equipment you should be able to get that sound.

# 10
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
12/13/2003 9:04 pm
I have to punt Boss man, those pedals all rock...I like the Mt2, but, it is over rated...The Ds1 is killer, but the od-20 twin pedal kills them all as it has both of them and many more distortion souds on it.
It does cost slightly more than a single boss pedal ( I saw them for about 170usd on zzounds.com) but it rocks.
Also look at Line 6 Dm 4 pedals, but they cost lots.
Tech 21 did summin called a comptortion a few years back and that rocked.
also try visual sounds Jeckyl and Hyde pedals...also cool

Good Luck finding that perfect tone, if you do, let me know what you used
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.