Tab help needed. Also Hi from a new member.

nsx_swami
nsx_swami
12/03/2003 5:35 pm
Hi guys and gals. I'm just getting into guitar playing but I have run into a problem. I have been learning from books mostly and VERY slowly have been making progress but I tried TAB for the first time last night. I can't figure out what this is supposed to be though. What does 7^0 and 7^8^7\5-7 mean? The following is a small portion of the song if that helps. Also when you are supposed to play both E strings at the same time do most of you strum all the stings or pluck one string with a finger and pick the other?

E-7-----------7^0---------|---------7---8---7^8^7\5-7--
B-----0-----------0-------|---------0---0-----------0--
G---------0-----------0---|-----0----------------------
D-------------------------|----------------------------
A-------------------------|----------------------------
E-0-----------------------|-0--------------------------

Thanks for any advice you have.
Jimmie showed me alot of stuff, but there was a time when he warned, 'If you ask me to show you anything again, I'll kick your ass.' Well, I did and he did. - SRV
# 1
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/03/2003 6:33 pm
Don't fret! Ha! Just kidding! You will need to fret! Ha! I kill myself!

There are many different types of notation for tab, and while they should be explained in a legend, many times they aren't.

Here are some common tab symbols, including the ones you're asking about:

hammer-on: 7h9; 7^9
pull-off: 9p7; 9^7
slide: 7s9; 7/9
bend: 7b9; 7^9
release bend: 9r7; 9^7
ghost note: (7)
harmonic: <7>; (7); *7

These are ones that I've encountered in my few years of reading tab. I've got about three 3" binders full of tab, and a couple 1 1/2" binders lying around, too. Then there are the tabs I haven't yet printed... With that experience and the confusing terminology as shown above, I've learned that it is a must to hear the song and play along to learn from tab. After a while, you'll be able to sight-read from a tab.

Anyways, back on to the topic at hand...

Therefore, "^" means hammer-on/pull-off. "/" means slide. The first two notes should be a chord, played by your thumb and ring finger (or whatever is comfortable for you; that would be my choice, since the middle and index will be needed to pick the next two open strings).

So, here's another way of putting it...

a a a a
E-7-----------7^0---------|---------7---8---7^8^7\5-7--
B-----0-----------0-------|---------0---0-----------0--
G---------0-----------0---|-----0----------------------
D-------------------------|----------------------------
A-------------------------|----------------------------
E-0-----------------------|-0--------------------------
t m i a m i t i m m m m

t=thumb
i=index
m=middle
a=ring (annulus)

Pluck the open E and the 7th fret on the high E with your thumb and ring. The rest should be pretty self-explanatory. If not, ask again and I'll launch into another page-long explanation.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 2
nsx_swami
nsx_swami
12/03/2003 7:06 pm
Thanks eggman. That makes sense. Now I just have to figure out how to actually play and then I'm all set. Maybe I should just stick to playing the spoons.
Jimmie showed me alot of stuff, but there was a time when he warned, 'If you ask me to show you anything again, I'll kick your ass.' Well, I did and he did. - SRV
# 3
Inisfail
Inisfail
12/05/2003 2:29 pm
Hi buddy!

Nice to see that people still bother learning playing instruments..

I would recomend ultimateguitarpage.com , the page isn't updating as far as I know, but the guides for basic guitarplay is very good! Easy to understand and they will teach you fast!

Do you know anyone else who plays guitar? Ask them..

Good luck on "Nothing Else Matters" and if there is anything you wonder, just ask!
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
# 4
spanky10940
spanky10940
12/12/2003 11:43 pm
hey swami... welcome to the board!

Keep at it.. slowly the lightbulb will go on. There is someone in here with the perfect signature (stuck with me)

Practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanant, perfect practice makes permanant

I say this because I struggled for YEARS to actually learn to sit and just play. I don't know what kind of music you're into but Nirvana and grunge bands usually have pretty easy songs and this way you have a series of successes while learning. The eggman gave an awesome lesson on tabs there so I won't bore you with that but if you're looking for other helpful tools go to http://www.mysongbook.com they all use a prog called Guitar Pro 4. It's like computerised tab with midi =) this way you can see how it's supposed to sound (as the people on the board set it up anyway)

Also, there are TONS of lessons and helpful people here.

keep Jammin!!

Mark
"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 5
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/13/2003 2:44 am
Originally posted by spanky10940
hey swami... welcome to the board!

Keep at it.. slowly the lightbulb will go on. There is someone in here with the perfect signature (stuck with me)

Practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanant, perfect practice makes permanant

I never really understood what that signature meant. Actually, I still don't.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 6
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
12/13/2003 9:35 am
The greatest single tool that i use when comes to sheet music is guitar pro 3 or 4. Its a god send! Try to get your hands on it, you thank me for it later!
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 7
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
12/13/2003 8:28 pm
I am also a converted Guitar pro apostle.
This program will teach you how to play songs, aswell as play them for you, so that you can hear them too.
I cannot punt this program enough...It rocks.

They have a demo version on the site http://www.guitar-pro.com and also links to many other Gp tab sites...I have been using Gp since gp2.0 and cant wait for the next version to be out, i pressume it will be 5.o, but I dont relly know

Good Luck with the guitar, dont give up, even if progression seems impossible...we have all been there.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.