Good, not so good, and bad experiences with drummers...

Joseph
Joseph
01/05/2001 12:31 am
The drummer is basically the backbone of a band, and they play a big part in motivating everyone else. Myself, I'm not much of a drummer, but if you're a musician once you find the right addiction to your band A drummer who can really carry his own, it kind of really takes that weight off of your shoulders. Ive been playing bands every since early highschool, but Ive never exactkly found the right drummer who was willing to join our ensemble, and its really frustrating. Because at time, it can be a rather desperate situation where it really screws up everything you've worked for.

At the end of highschool, I really thought our band was takking off, but toward the end our drummer was very lazxy and he just couldn't keep up with the rest of us, (although we all felt he was capable of so much more), his unwillingness to compromise was detrimental to our band. It just got to the point where it literally sounded as if he was falling asleep at the set. He left the band, everyone else went in oppositie direction as a result, (which kind of helped me realize that I was the only serious one to begin with.:eek: Its very hard to keep things together when you have to do it all by yourself. But all in all, I love music Ive never stopped recording at home, its just something I love, which helps me get in ytouch with feelings that I never knew existed before. But I've aleways tried to get something started again, but to no avail. I guess when you're a musician, you never stop trying, but keep in mind theres a big difference between aspiring rockstars and aspiring musicians...A big difference...

Perhaps you want to share your horror stories, or then again some high hopes, :).

-Joseph

www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
01/05/2001 1:37 pm
I play now in 2 bands. in one i have a drummer that is one of my best friends, and he's quite good...
in the second i play rhythm guitar and the drummer in this band just cant keep 4/4 even for 1 minute without making a mistake... once he brough some pedal for the bass drumm
i think it's called double pedal but im not sure...
so we were playing , and it was in the musicial school and then one of the guitar teachers arrived and our drummer was like "wanna see me playing with the double?" so the teacher has to be nice and he says yes, and the guy starts to play in high speed, but he even can't do it in the same rhythm, and we couldnt look in each other eyes about 5 minutes after that, coze no-one wanted to tell him that he sucks.//
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/05/2001 10:47 pm
yes, the world needs more good drummers.
The drummer in my band is my little brother, and he's actually really solid. Not the greatist, but he's versital and he's only going to get better.
Actually, I know alot of fairly good drummers, but they keep busy, you know?
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/05/2001 11:05 pm
I was lucky enough to have a brother who was absolutely awesome on drums. (think Neil Pearts clone)
He was in just about every band I ever played in and I still haven't been able to find a replacement who equals what he was capable of.

# 4
Joseph
Joseph
01/07/2001 11:23 pm
Once you're fortunate to find a good solid drummer, the rest usually takes care of itself, having a well established drummer can really work well in no only motivating you but others as well. I'm talking about someone whos really into the music, someonbe who can feel the rhythm, someone who is in touch with his or her natural abilities.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/08/2001 12:52 am
I used to think that drummers days were numbered when drum machines came out.
Spending 5 hours of studio time taping down every squeaky part of a drummers kit can drive ya nuts. :)
# 6
LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
01/08/2001 2:38 am
I used to think that there wasn't much required of a drummer. Hey, if you can keep a 4/4 rock beat, and do fills, really what else is required right?
Since I've played with more jazz drummers, and continued to play with rock drummers, I'm realizing how much more there is. Now that I'm playing with a guy who can solo and fill much more creatively, who really pushes the band forward, syncopates, plays with differents feels (rumba, samba, bossa, swing, rock, funk, etc.,) I appreciate what he does far more. Since I also sometimes play with another drummer who is very limited, and is capable of keeping a swing or rock feel, and filling, but not much else, I have a better sense of how much it takes to be a really good drummer.
# 7
Rat520
Rat520
01/08/2001 4:11 am
that's so true, i'm still in highschool but i have already had alot of bad experiences with drummers, i have finaly found a great drummer who keeps perfect time and can solo in any style (even Jazz), any he is only 14.
"You know, we do more than just sing and dance. We've got a brain, too."
Backstreet Boys
# 8
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/08/2001 6:44 am
One thing people sometimes don't appreciate about drummers is how much stamina it takes to play in a band on a regular basis. Not only do they have to lug tons of equipment around, they have to have the strength to play a full nights worth of pounding away. Then they have to tear everything down again, pack it into the car, drive home at 2 in the morning and carry everything back into the house. (and metal drum stands are freakin cold in the winter)
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.