Double,triple,alternate picking Help

Guitar-Sam
Guitar-Sam
11/28/2003 11:39 am
Can someone give me advice on how to losen up when alternate picking??
I am a rock guitarist with 10yrs playing.I recently had an oportunity to try a semi-pro/pro metal band,based on my rock lead playing.Thing is I never really ever had to do such quick alternate picking on rock rythms.
Problem I'm having is when I try to pick this fast(especially if its not just on the top 2 strings)my arm tensces up and I can't do it.If I practice for awhile by the time I get it my arm turns to JELLO and I can't do it again.
It wouldn't be so bad if it were all double picked but allot of it it like down strokes with quick bursts of triple picking.
Thanks
Certiied Stratocaster NUT!!
# 1
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
11/28/2003 4:19 pm
Keep Practicing! It may not be the answer your looking for but that's what you got to do.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 2
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
11/28/2003 6:42 pm
You have to work on relaxing while you play. Try some visual imagery stuff, like imagine that your right arm is as light as a feather. Also work on your breathing while playing, take nice steady breaths. This is hard to do when playing heavy metal because the music is so aggressive it naturally causes your body and muscles to tense up.

For warm ups try playing your scales/licks/finger excercises without distortion, a cleaner/mellower sound on your instrument may help you relax a bit. Once you have it remember how your body felt at that time when you reached that "zone", strive for that same physical control when you play with the band.

[Edited by chris mood on 11-28-2003 at 12:46 PM]
# 3
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
11/28/2003 6:53 pm
Another thing to consider is the heigth at which you have your guitar strapped on at....this could be why you lose control when you get to the lower strings, becuase your arm is in a akward position. A good rule of thumb is to adjust your strap so that the guitar is in the same position as if you where sitting. I know it looks cool to have your guitar slung low, but it is not always practical.

1 more thing..the thickness of your picks. If your trying to play long fast runs your pick may be too flimsy to respond in the way you want it too...try messing with heavier pick gauges.
# 4
finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
11/29/2003 12:53 am
I find you get better at alternate picking if you swap regular guitar strings with fishing rod string. Damn, it cuts your hands up bad but you get less tension and can pick faster.
# 5
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/29/2003 3:02 am
Originally posted by chris mood
You have to work on relaxing while you play. Try some visual imagery stuff, like imagine that your right arm is as light as a feather. Also work on your breathing while playing, take nice steady breaths....Once you have it remember how your body felt at that time when you reached that "zone", strive for that same physical control when you play with the band.

What are you? A kung fu teacher? "Make your arm as the feather in the wind."
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 6
efiLnikuFesiN
efiLnikuFesiN
11/29/2003 8:01 am
What are you? A kung fu teacher? "Make your arm as the feather in the wind."

lol... Don't knock it... this sh*t really works, and not just with guitar either... give it a shot, you'll be surprised how much you can improve but be sure to practise smart as well. You'll find that if you can combine creative visualisation and focused practise you'll improve quicker than practise alone.
Something clever & witty to go here!
# 7
efiLnikuFesiN
efiLnikuFesiN
11/29/2003 8:02 am
oops... I mean practice
Something clever & witty to go here!
# 8
Guitar-Sam
Guitar-Sam
11/30/2003 6:35 am
Chris mood you hit it right man.Yesterday after righting this I was practicng in the livingroom chair and(allthough no metal master)could pull off the trouble riffs.I got thinkin about it and played with my strap a little after raising it approx 2 1/2 in. I was able to not tense up so much.Makes sense as I've lost a considerable amount of beer belly in the past few months and never redid the strap.I still need work though.
Thanks
Certiied Stratocaster NUT!!
# 9
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/30/2003 5:06 pm
Originally posted by efiLnikuFesiN
You'll find that if you can combine creative visualization with focused practice you'll improve more quickly than practice alone. [/B]

What is "focused practice?" I think I do that already. When I practice it's not like I pick up my guitar and dance with it while singing showtunes. I focus on my practicing. Sure I screw around every once in a while, but it's good to do that.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.