recording directly

Death55
Death55
11/27/2003 1:45 pm
When recording directly to the computer i have to use a cable coming from the headphones socket in the amp. ONly problem is that i cant hear what i play when its plugged into the headphones socket. How could i change this so i can still hear it and still record directly to the computer ?
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 1
daveasdf
daveasdf
11/27/2003 2:27 pm
From my limited experience, you either listen through your headphones that are plugged into the computer, or you use the line out on your amp to feed into your computer instead of the headphone jack. You're going to have to listen through your computer anyway (plug your headphones into your soundcard) if you're going to want to edit your tune once it's recorded.
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/27/2003 5:03 pm
Recording from the headphone socket of you amp is, for several reasons, not the best idea. To start with the difference between headphone strength signal and line level signal (or Lo Z mic level) will not be matched which can lead to a detereation in signal quality. Also there will be no AIR in the recording, that is the way the speaker, cabinet and room ambiance effect your sound.

However, saying that it probably wont damage anything and if, like me you have neighbors, well it is not such a bad idea. Getting a Pod 2.0 (250 bucks off eBay) will dramatically improve your guitar tone and enable you to record direct in style and comfort. I also use a GNX2 which is cool and recently I have hear people raving about the new Vox toneworks.

To monitor you want to run a set of headphone out of your sound card / computer speakers and go that way. A pod will allow you to monitor from the unit its self however if you are overdubbing or playing off a click track you wont be able to hear that out of the pod.

Best of luck dude
S

P.S. I don't have shares in line 6 or anything !!

[Edited by Dr_simon on 11-27-2003 at 11:06 AM]
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.