View post (Professional Songwriting)

View thread

JSV
JSV
11/19/2003 8:16 pm
YO' JOLLY...
..."You know...I wrote that. Here's the legal documentation." It might not always work, but hey, it's cheaper than "May I buy you a drink?"...

LMAO! Oh man! :D I'm rollin' from that one!!

-and to "onewhomnoticesmistakes"
...JSV, tell me a job where it isn't like that anymore? With a hundred good deeds, I still get someone trying to f#$k me over in the end...

Youe are SO RIGHT, my brother! ;) It just seems like others I know (who DON'T work full-time in music) seem to keep more of their personal freedoms & social liberties in tact.

I work for independent artists/studios, and It's taking me years to establish a soild foundation for my OWN business.

To TRY and answer a question:
When you're an "employEE" for a company or business, SOMETIMES legal/contractual things can be taken care of for you. When you're creating your OWN business, hiring others, contracting your time/efforts/talents, then within the first couple of years you are "SWAMPED" with all kinds of paperwork, contracts... I have two file cabinets "bustin' at the seams" and STILL not enough place for my CRAP!

When you're "breaking-in", it's also not always so easy to make demands about how much you'll get, and what you want to retain, etc. If you do, most companies contracting you as an artist, or provisional producer (so to speak), will just find someone else who'll do the job for less or make fewer demands.

Check this out; several years ago I played the "chops" on a REEBOK ad. I was more interested in getting the gig, getting in good w/the producer (amongst other things), than I was at taking the risk of making too many demands. I did the gig, got paid (a decent amount ;) ), and I made a WISE decision by being COOL & HUMBLE or I wouldn't have experiences like this one to share & learn from.

Even when there are others (who's JOB it is) to take care of "your" paperwork/legal/contractual matters, you STILL must decide wisely to be solely responsible for "what happens" to you & your work...

...if you "get my drift"?

~JSV