G3 Mega-Post

Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
11/10/2003 10:30 pm
Saturday November 8th.

My buddy and I arrive in Pittsburgh around 5:00pm, just as it's getting dark. We find $3 parking about 2 blocks away from the venue, AJ Palumbo Center. We ask the girl working in the parking box if there are any good bars around because we want to down a few before the show starts. She points us in a direction and says that the bars are down that way. So we start walking. Perhaps 6-8 blocks away we find that we have walked straight into a ghetto. Now being two white boys from a rural area, we began to question whether we should continue in our fruitless search to find a bar, or just go back to where the concert is going to be, and wait there. We decided to stop on a corner and I called information on my cell phone to get the number for a cab. About that time, a black lady comes towards us, and asks if we are lost. We must've looked sorely out of place. We tell her that we're trying to find a bar. She says she knows where one is, and we follow her through the ghetto. She informs us that last week someone was murdered on the very corner where we were standing trying to get a cab. We arrive at some run-down pizza joint that sells beer. So by this point we have about an hour before the doors open up for the show. We are straight killing beers at this place. They were selling budweiser bottles for a buck a piece. During the hour, we each had about 6-a-piece. By now it's 6:30pm, and it's time for the doors to open. We get in a line that has developed outside of the arena. I always forget about the various types of people you'll see at a rock concert. I get out of line and go to the "will-call" box to get my backstage passes that I won through satriani.com. Finally we get inside the venue and immediately find ourselves in line to buy extremely overpriced merchandise. My buddy and I each drop $32 on a G3 t-shirt. We go to find our seats which were on the floor, row 13. We noticed the rows only went to 12 though. So we found some guy who was working the show, and he said that we had been relocated. At first I was worried that we were gonna get screwed out of our awesome seats, but then the guy gave us new tickets, front-and-center, 6th row. TITS! While we were waiting for the show to start, we decided to make another bad investment. They were selling plastic cups of beer for $5, so we each got one, and meandered back to our seats. About 10 minutes later the show was starting, I was pretty wasted, and definately ready to rock.

By the time Vai left, some dude came in and told us we all had to leave because there were still people in line waiting to meet these guys. A bunch of rocker dudes who were there to meet Yngwie felt cheated because he was a no-show. Sucks to be them I guess. I met who I was there to meet.

Well, that was it I guess. We went back to where I parked and did our best to get out of Pittsburgh (an extremely confusing city because of all the one-way-streets). I am convinced I saw the best guitarist in the world that night, although I don't know which of them it was :) At any rate, I had an awesome night that I just had to share with you guys. If anyone else went to a G3 '03 show as well, please submit your own review on this thread.

-Lee

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/10/2003 11:36 pm
Awesome review dude, have you thought about sending it to uncle Schmange for the GT Newsletter ?
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
andy82
andy82
11/11/2003 2:06 am
G3 ever coming to Sydney? :rolleyes:

Satch seems to have the same facial expression when he takes pictures :) lol

# 3
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
11/11/2003 3:21 pm
Originally posted by Dr_simon
Awesome review dude, have you thought about sending it to uncle Schmange for the GT Newsletter ?

Do I just email it to him?

Originally posted by andy82
G3 ever coming to Sydney?

Not this current one, in fact it's over tomorrow in Boston. :( Sorry dude.

My YouTube Profile
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/11/2003 5:25 pm
Check out the Newsletter forum
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5
sambob
sambob
11/11/2003 10:56 pm
Damn!

I can't believe it man, I was there.

I wish I had gotten in touch with you in #guitar_tricks earlier, we should have met up and had a beer or two (althoguh i had already had about 12 when i got there).

I have to say I was a little disappointed with parts of it. Mainly Yngwie's set, the sound wasn't too good, and he was way too drunk. Also Tony Macalpine, who is one of my favorite guitarists.. he really didn't show off too much of his skills. He easily can make Steve Vai look like a fool when it comes to playing guitar.
# 6
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
11/12/2003 12:58 am
Originally posted by sambob
Damn!

I can't believe it man, I was there.

That sucks dude. I wish I would've known.
My YouTube Profile
# 7
DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
11/12/2003 6:50 pm
Im 13 years old... ive been to Dream Theater, Kings X, Queensryche, Fates Warning, Jerry Cantrell, and Joe Satriani Concerts. But this one was frikin amazing. I saw this at the Beacon Theater in NYC. Yngwie M. was alright... but he did the same shred throguht the whole show... i didnt think he had a whole lot of feel into his playing. Steve Vai was phenomenal.. enuff said. Joe satch... well hes Joe satch... is he evr bad.

AND TO TOP IT ALL OFF JOHN PERTUCCI AND NEIL SCHOANE shoed up on stage and jammed at the end.

It was a great show and im gunna see it next year... hopefully theyll bring Nuno Bettencourt or Alex Lifeson, that would be awesome.
Member of band: Amphiptere (am-fi-teer)
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
I am: Lead guitar
# 8
sambob
sambob
11/12/2003 8:35 pm
didnt think he had a whole lot of feel into his playing.

Blame it on the booze, Yngwie has some of the best 'feel' in the business. But when he's drunk he just..doesn't hardly do much at all.
# 9
andy82
andy82
11/13/2003 4:48 am
I can understand people like being drunk before a show to calm down, but Yngwie??? Hmmm he'd used to shows by now...
# 10
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
11/13/2003 8:57 pm
Originally posted by sambob
didnt think he had a whole lot of feel into his playing.

Blame it on the booze, Yngwie has some of the best 'feel' in the business. But when he's drunk he just..doesn't hardly do much at all.

Is Yngwie a well-known alcoholic or something? :)
My YouTube Profile
# 11
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/13/2003 9:24 pm
uhh...YEAH! Yngwie is definitely a boozehound. Look at the giant freakin' beergut he's got goin on!
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 12
sambob
sambob
11/14/2003 12:24 am
Eh, I don't know about alcohlic. But when I saw him he was drunk. And in several bootlegs I've seen of him play..he'll be fine for the first set, but after the intermission, he comes back drunk.

I can't REALLY blame him though. Despite how much I've played, and how comfortable I THINK I feel, my hands shake terribly when I first get on stage. Now, of course drinking makes me play like ****..BUT, a couple of beers really does calm you down.
# 13
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
10/08/2004 7:52 pm
I alway's get those shaky hands at the beginning of a gig also. I found that a Xanax alway's does the trick. Takes all worries, tension, and anxiety away.
If I drink, I get sloppy and can't play as well.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 14
meandmyRG
meandmyRG
10/14/2004 7:08 am
Nothing beats a good old fashioned ______.

{I can dig the sentiment, but I gotta cap the language, dude. L.}
# 15
VintageReaper
VintageReaper
10/14/2004 7:41 am
I always found it more fun to try and get personal with the crowd before a show. Just go out and maybe jam a minute before the show really starts. That way if you mess up at first it'll just be when you're messing around and you don't have to worry too much. But that's just me. :P
You're an inspiration for birth control. - Duke Nukem.
# 16
meandmyRG
meandmyRG
10/18/2004 2:48 pm
Apologies for my felatial fopah.
# 17
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
11/09/2004 5:48 am
Originally Posted by: meandmyRGApologies for my felatial fopah.

That's faux pas to you frenchie :D. Just kidding dude, I've never played a live gig, but I have gotten what you referenced. Still I'd probably take my chances with the Xanax just to be safe.

I figured I'd resurrect this long dead thread because tonight marks the 1 year anniversary of it's occurence. You can read more about my state of mind here in my blog.
My YouTube Profile
# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.