Heavy sound nothing specific

IbanezmutESP
IbanezmutESP
11/10/2003 12:19 am
Hey guys, i have a GFX-1200H/GX412XS Half-Stack. And am using a DoD heavy metal pedal with it. I also used a Danelectro fuzz pedal. Both havent satisfied my needs. Im sure its probably my settings. I was wondering if you guys would suggest anything to get a nice heavy sound ( i play in C) yet with not that much fuzz. At point my sound just sounds a bit too fuzzy or muddy. I dont want to duplicate another persons sound out there but just as an idea. Maybe something like the guitars from hatebreed, killswitch engage, or even pantera or slayer. Thanks guys i appreciate it.
=mut=
# 1
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
11/10/2003 2:13 am
Check out the thread just below yours (well, for now, anyways). The guy had basically the same questions as you did.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 2
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
11/10/2003 1:23 pm
Assuming that you're after a death or nu metal tone (since you tune to C) , scooping the mids is a good idea , but that doesn't mean to put it on "0" .
Cranking the bass and/or highs can give an undesired excess of fuzz ... Also make sure to match your pedal settings with your amp's , you have to tweak on both to get your best tone , don't forget to play with your amp's settings.
# 3
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
11/11/2003 7:28 am
The main thing imo is don't turn the distortion up too much. If you do that it tends to get whiny and lacks the deep visceral growl you're probably looking for. If you listen to artists like Randy Rhoads or Disturbed or John 5 from Marilyn Manson they're as heavy as you'll ever need and you can still hear every note they play perfectly.

And it could be something like your pickups. Some pickups just can't rock, others can scare little kids with next to no fx.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 4
IbanezmutESP
IbanezmutESP
11/12/2003 1:14 am
I have dimebuckers if anything on one guitar and EMG 81/85 on the other so i think pickup wise im fine. But I was wondering cause i have my lows like at 6 my mid at like 9 and my highs at like 8. Both on my pedal and amp.
=mut=
# 5
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
11/12/2003 4:16 am
You could try scooping the mids for your home personal use.

Scooping = turn those mids down to 3 or 4.

You'll get a chunky sound at lower volumes, but when you play out, you shouldn't scoop the mids as you won't "cut through" the bass, and your guitar will sound like mindless low end.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 6
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
11/12/2003 4:22 am
That's probably your problem there, if you have your mids and highs cranked like that it's not gonna rock like you're wanting. It might be good for lead work but it's gonna kill your backing. try something like bass:7 Mids:4 treble:4-6. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, but I like it.

I just thought of another couple things-

With a lot of tube setups you can make your sound more distorted (in a good way) by turning the input volume way up and lowering the output volume.

On some amplification/distortion equipment the bass/mids/treble knobs work by feeding that part of your guitar through the system at different volumes. What you can do with this is turn all of them down so the sound that's output isn't as much your guitar as the distortion. You gotta be careful you don't lose definition when you use this, it's really easy to turn your sound to mud like this. I don't know if this would work with your setup, it's something I've seen more on things like 20 watt practice amps than on stacks, but it might be worth checking out.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.