Does anyone else do this....?

Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
11/07/2003 1:53 am
I want to get my hands on another amp, possibly an old Fender Reverb or something similar, to put my amp and this other amp in series together. Almost like getting a stereo sound, if that is the correct termonology. I notice, for example, Jimmy Page used at least 3 different amps live, I would like to do the same thing, but possibly designate one amp for clean and one for distortion. Does anyone know if this is possible? Or if they do something similar, just tell me what you think.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 1
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
11/07/2003 11:32 am
You mean Parallel !

Yes that's very possible and common for pros ... I'd do it if I got enough cash.
I have an old Fender vibrolux reverb which I pretty much admire for clean tone , but I'd prefere to have my distortion from another amp like a Marshall TSL or something instead of using my multi-effect or dist pedal.
# 2
supermariosbro
supermariosbro
11/07/2003 2:23 pm
I plug my Marshall and my Fender together and it creates a rather unique sound. I think it sounds great.
Jesus and I love you... Rock hard.
# 3
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
11/08/2003 2:02 am
So if I did get another amp to put in PARALLEL, would I hook it up through the Power amp out?Pre-amp in? or the extra speaker jack at the back?
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 4
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
11/08/2003 12:13 pm
I thought you wanted to switch between them ... If so , you should get an A/B switch , that splits between them .

If you want them to work simultaneously , I think it would be better if you have the clean signal from your guitar directly into both amp's inputs ... This can be done by a splitter , or if you'd like some cheap tricks and have some extra feets of guitar cables , you can split one cable that goes out of your guitar straight into the two amps at once.
For this , you'll need three cables , each with ONE jack at a ONE of it's terminals ... All you'll have do then is to join the other terminals together in Parallel (inside the cable , there should be an inside wire and an outside one , join each three similar wires from the different cables together) , and make sure that you insulate different wires inside the cables from each other well.

Frankly, I haven't done this , but I'm sure it should work well.

# 5
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
11/08/2003 2:53 pm
Cool thanks alot.
# 6
SPL
SPL
11/08/2003 4:02 pm
Originally posted by SLY
Frankly, I haven't done this , but I'm sure it should work well.

It will work, but by splitting your cable in that manner, the signal coming from the guitar will be weakened significantly.(wich is not a good thing for obvious reasons)

I strongly suggest that you get an A/B box to split the signal coming from your guitar. Something like this => http://www.whirlwindusa.com/selec.html

# 7
Cedarkill
Cedarkill
11/14/2003 3:41 pm
Yea...as said prior, you'll be wasting your time and perfectly good cables by cutting them up and rejoining them to make a "y-cable." It will cut your guitar signal output and will sound aweful. It'll either cut the signal in half going to both amps, or may slightly cut the signal going to one and dratically cut the signal going to the second...believe me, haha, I've had experiance with this in my younger days of trying to alter gear to be unique and save money. Just spend the $50 on a splitter pedal. Most splitters out there can allow you to play amp one (channel a), amp two (channel b) or both amp one and two (channel a/b). Ultimately what i'm saying is you'll have the ability to do anything you want to shape your stereo amp sound if you buy the pedal!
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.