Buzzing

Hammurabi
Hammurabi
11/06/2003 5:47 pm
My guitar buzzes on the 18th fret low E string and I can't figure out why. For a while it also buzzed 18th fret high e string, but it hasn't been doing that anymore, and other than that there's no problems with that fret on any other string.

Any ideas what might be causing this?
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 1
SPL
SPL
11/06/2003 6:47 pm
There are a number of things that can be wrong with your guitar. Without having a look at it in person, nobody on here will be able to tell you exactly what's wrong and how to fix it. I suggest that you simply take it to a tech...
# 2
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
11/07/2003 11:44 am
For string buzzing problems in general , it's more likely the bridge is set a little low ... You can easily adjust your bridge (methods of adjustment depends on the bridge's type , Floyd Rose , Standard Whammy , Fixed, etc.).
Or you may have been in a bad mood , and just hitting the string so hardly that it buzzes ! ;)

Unlikely , there may be something (whammy's springs for instance) that's vibrating at the pitch of the 18th fret on the E strings which is A# note.
I just thought of that because you said the buzz comes from two exactly similar notes ... You can check for that by playing an A# note from anywhere esle on the fretboard and see if it also buzzes.
# 3
JSV
JSV
11/07/2003 1:12 pm
True, it's difficult to diagnose a guitar prob' without taking a look in person. However, after reading your explanation, it sounds like something fairly common that we see all the time here.

Extreme 'buzzing' from a PARTICULAR fret (or 2 or 3 of them), especially in the SAME AREA of the neck is likely due to a "lifting" fret, or your upper register needs to be LEVELED/RECROWNED.

ONLY TAKE YOUR INSTRUMENT TO A QUALIFIED/EXPERIENCED TECH' if you suspect [this problem] or if that's what turns out to be. A poor fret re-crown could screw-up your axe so it may never be the same again!

Before frets EVER "go-under-the-knife" they MUST be checked to see if ANY OF THEM are lifting from the fingerboard. They sometimes have to be "tapped-in", re-seated, even removed and/or re-glued (some frets are even glued into the fretboard).

If you're not experienced, DON'T ATTEMPT TO FILE A FRET BY YOURSELF!

There are several things that effect the 'action' and effect the amount of 'buzzing' that occurs, such as; neck adjustment (truss rod issues), neck-"tilt" (or PITCH as it's sometimes refered to), bridge height, fret leveling, string guage, (Even a BENT or damaged string!), etc, etc...

HOPE THAT HELPS, BRO'!

GOOD LUCK! ;)

~JSV
# 4
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
11/07/2003 4:51 pm
The only thing I have ruled out so far is I dont' have a tremelo and I know it's not the height of the strings that's doing it.

How much would it cost to take it in to a shop?
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 5
JSV
JSV
11/08/2003 6:27 am
...How much would it cost to take it in to a shop?...

ASSUMING it's the 'fret' problem I mentioned (which it MOST LIKELY is), you should expect AT LEAST $40-$60 for minimal work. If you ONLY repair that 'one or two' fret problem. Make sure you find someone with PLENTY OF EXPERINCE in this situation as well, ok??

When this kind of thing comes in here I want them done perfect, and always recommend a FULL upper-register level/recrown, and a general fret-dressing on the rest of the neck (depending on the condition, or if there are 'divits' in the lower frets). That way, we set the guitars up to Ssssssmokin' -and we don't have to see 'em for at-least another year or two!

Something more extensive like that; you could expect to get in over $100. If you find someone that REALLY KNOWS HIS SH*T, -will do a decent "make-over" on your frets. -and you really dig this guiatar (or play it a lot), save up the extra few $$$ and get the job done right.

*Pricing "rule-of-thumb": a little more for a 'glued-neck' or thru-neck-style, a little less for a 'bolt-on' w/no binding.

If this guitar is fairly new, not much fret-wear at all, you may only need a couple filed down (or 'leveled'). Move the strings aside- LOOK closely at the fret-tops, do you see a lot of FLAT surfaces worn-out?? Are there little divits (that look like 'dents) right under each string (mostly on the lower frets you'll see this)??
If that's the case you'll benefit from a fret dressing, and have the upper-reg' recrowned at the same time.

NOW JUST-IN-CASE there isn't "ANY" fret-wear, I could be 'way-off' (because I can't SEE IT) and there COULD always be something else. 'But you say the action isn't Waaay-low right?? Then tell your 'repair-dude' to check for what I told you & you'll find the prob'!

~JSV
# 6
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
11/08/2003 10:28 pm
Could be the change in season which leads to changes in humidity, esp. if you crank the heat in the winter.

Also, again, check your action, you may want to live with slightly raised action versus messing with the frets.

Finally, you should check the truss rod setting, not something most techie-type guys would recommend you set up on your own, but I have adjusted the truss rod (in ignorance) on my acoustic and electric, and they both have beautifully low action now. Check to see if the humidity change was affected your neck's curve. I've adjusted mine to be basically straight, but I'm sure someone here (read: Lordathestrings) will correct me and tell me that the neck should be slightly curved or something.

That's all I can think of.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 7
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
11/09/2003 12:52 pm
The Truss Rod settings mainly affect the frets before the 12th ... I don't think that's the prob .
# 8
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
11/09/2003 8:50 pm
There are some little depressions on the lower frets, but I don't see anything in the upper register.

I can't really check the action now, the strings are off because I had to secure one of the bushings with epoxy and put a new screw to hold up the bridge pickup and I don't have any new strings to put on it.
-A.H.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.