View post (Buzzing)

View thread

JSV
JSV
11/08/2003 6:27 am
...How much would it cost to take it in to a shop?...

ASSUMING it's the 'fret' problem I mentioned (which it MOST LIKELY is), you should expect AT LEAST $40-$60 for minimal work. If you ONLY repair that 'one or two' fret problem. Make sure you find someone with PLENTY OF EXPERINCE in this situation as well, ok??

When this kind of thing comes in here I want them done perfect, and always recommend a FULL upper-register level/recrown, and a general fret-dressing on the rest of the neck (depending on the condition, or if there are 'divits' in the lower frets). That way, we set the guitars up to Ssssssmokin' -and we don't have to see 'em for at-least another year or two!

Something more extensive like that; you could expect to get in over $100. If you find someone that REALLY KNOWS HIS SH*T, -will do a decent "make-over" on your frets. -and you really dig this guiatar (or play it a lot), save up the extra few $$$ and get the job done right.

*Pricing "rule-of-thumb": a little more for a 'glued-neck' or thru-neck-style, a little less for a 'bolt-on' w/no binding.

If this guitar is fairly new, not much fret-wear at all, you may only need a couple filed down (or 'leveled'). Move the strings aside- LOOK closely at the fret-tops, do you see a lot of FLAT surfaces worn-out?? Are there little divits (that look like 'dents) right under each string (mostly on the lower frets you'll see this)??
If that's the case you'll benefit from a fret dressing, and have the upper-reg' recrowned at the same time.

NOW JUST-IN-CASE there isn't "ANY" fret-wear, I could be 'way-off' (because I can't SEE IT) and there COULD always be something else. 'But you say the action isn't Waaay-low right?? Then tell your 'repair-dude' to check for what I told you & you'll find the prob'!

~JSV