Technique Books/Videos

daveasdf
daveasdf
10/25/2003 3:02 pm
So I'm learning how to play metal or shred, and I figure - why not just pick up the best 'how to' books instead of learning it on my own, from music? Save a little time. So I need some opinions on which books or videos to buy relating to all aspects of metal - picking, tapping, arpeggios etc. If I have to buy 5 of the best 'how to' books on the market to cover it all, so be it. Keep in mind I want to be the best in less than a years time so the techniques should range from moderate to advanced. I'm not starting from scratch either. Any recommendations?
# 1
sambob
sambob
10/25/2003 3:37 pm
Well, I don't know about books, but the videos I recommend are:

Both of Shawn Lane's REH inscrutional videos (Power Licks and Power Solos)
Greg Howe's Hot Licks video
Jason Beckers instructional video
Joe Stump arpeggios dvd available from http://www.joestump.com
And maybe Michael Angelo's Speed Kills.

Also Frank Gambale's video is good for building technique.

A video to avoid I think would be Yngwie Malmsteen's instructional videos. He really doesn't teach you much of anything that you can't pick up for free online, and on top of that, he doesn't even tell you to do what he's playing in the video. He'll go through an excercise, then when its his turn to play it he plays it totally different.
# 2
sambob
sambob
10/25/2003 3:38 pm
I also might add, that you will not be the best in a years time. You become the best by years of hard work, no video or book can do that for you.
# 3
daveasdf
daveasdf
10/25/2003 4:14 pm
We'll see about that (!!!!) but thanks for the info, appreciated. I've only used one book, beginners bass when I was first starting out, I've got to assume they're more helpful because you can see what you're supposed to play in front of you. But then, you don't get to hear it. I'll give videos a shot.
# 4
daveasdf
daveasdf
10/26/2003 3:49 pm
man, I downloaded a bunch of videos off the net before I stuck my finger in my cpu fan and broke it right off haha, but they were mostly just clips from full lenght videos it looked like and all they were were some guy saying 'and here's another pattern that I call blah blah' and he shows it briefly and then works it up the neck at an incredible rate without discussing anything about it, then moves onto something else. is this typical of technique videos? I need scales, patterns and techniques, like a textbook that I can work through. I don't want to blow my booze money on some guy, who although may be a guitar god, can't teach worth crap. Like eric johnson. what a freakn tool.

(please note that I am ignorant of the accomplishments of eric johnson and i am basing my opinion of him as a tool on his instructional video series. if you disagree with my opinion i will not appologize, nor will i hold it against you, although I will be slightly annoyed to see somebody bring it up in this thread.)
# 5
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
10/26/2003 5:00 pm
Originally posted by daveasdf
Like eric johnson. what a freakn tool.

(please note that I am ignorant of the accomplishments of eric johnson and i am basing my opinion of him as a tool on his instructional video series. if you disagree with my opinion i will not appologize, nor will i hold it against you, although I will be slightly annoyed to see somebody bring it up in this thread.)

Well, if hadn't brought it up, I wouldn't have said anything, but......
There are far worse videos than his. Besides, if your looking to get into more than just shredding, why not check them out?
Anyway, I didn't really bring this up to annoy you, I was actually going to suggest you try the "Fine Art Of Guitar" videos. But since you already don't like Eric Johnson, I have another suggestion. Why not skip instructional videos and watch concerts? Thats what I do. I mean, you can pick up a lot from videos, but stuff happens live that doesn't happen in a guitar lesson. If you can pick some of that stuff up, then hey, your set.

And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 6
Inisfail
Inisfail
10/26/2003 9:40 pm
I would suggest:

John Petrucci - Rock Discipline

The DVD (go for that one, not the VHS) really helps in almost any ways.. That's it!
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
# 7
daveasdf
daveasdf
10/26/2003 10:13 pm
That's a decent idea. ie. downloading a concert video of some guitar god so you not only hear what he's playing, but you see it too. fingering positions, the whole bit. ...problem is, I don't know any names. those guys into rock/jazz fusion are probably best for this kind of thing, they know it all, other than that who knows. (anybody who uses the classical left-hand position with the pinky finger to pull off amazingly quick solos would be the most benificial). Guess what I'm looking for is a list of guitar gods - relating to pinky finger use and shredding.
# 8
daveasdf
daveasdf
10/27/2003 2:57 pm
Originally posted by Inisfail
I would suggest:

John Petrucci - Rock Discipline

The DVD (go for that one, not the VHS) really helps in almost any ways.. That's it!

John Petrucci, the father I never had. That guys videos describe everything that's essential. The biggest shortcut ever to rock stardome. Finally somebody who doesn't beat around the bush technical-wise and who is fairly intelligent when it comes to instructing. Only question I have is if his videos come with notation of the exercises he shows.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.