View post (What's Up !?!)

View thread

chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
11/07/2003 5:57 am

I went to the University of the Arts, but there are lots of colleges out there that have great contemporary music programs: Unv. of Miami, Manhatten school, Berklee, Texas State, just to name a few.

Originally posted by noticingthemistake
Listening is something that has to be taught, but not rushed. Learning to listening is just something that comes with time rather than work.

It's both, actually. people are born with different degrees of pitch hearing, rhythmic abilities, etc....and a good teacher is going to know that and know how to address that. Plus, a good music program is going to have its ear traing courses split into levels or A B groups, so that students with advanced abilities get just as much out of ear training as those who don't. (ever take an ear traing or theory course w/a drummer, ugh talk about feeling pity). Personally, I found I really got my ear together when I started sitting down and transcribing. I spent my whole senior year w/my private teacher working on transcriptions: guitar solos, sax solos, piano parts, etc. I have manuscript books full of transcriptions.

As far as listening to music, what do you do when your in the car? I love listening music, I can weeks with out watching TV, but I have to have music around me. Record stores are like dangerous for me, I can't walk out of one without shelling out a hundred bucks.