View post (What's Up !?!)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
11/07/2003 5:11 am
What college did you go to chris? I remember you saying you went for jazz performance or something. That sounds cool going to school for playing. Your may have not been what I was describing then. I know alot of schools will teach too many rules about music in theory or just basic practice. Then you learn this and hear it and maybe go, "oh that sounds good". Then you get stuck using that when you run into a situation. Very few people dare to change that or hear something different once they find out something sounds good. The popular thing to do now days is take a old progression from a hit song and recycle it, like you said. The concept of innovation takes a backseat.

Listening is something that has to be taught, but not rushed. Learning to listening is just something that comes with time rather than work. I don't like that about college courses, they rush you in ear training. You better have alittle under your belt before you get there or your in for a tough ride. Also because of this most wont get you to a high enough level because your always behind. It takes several years to learn how to hear a piece of music and know everything that is going on with just your ear and have a solid grasp on it. Also to be able to dictate a long phrase of music accurately before it's gone from the mind.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.