View post (What's Up !?!)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
10/24/2003 2:16 pm
Yeah, I like the sound of augmented chords even though there not used much. And before we got into talking about other stuff, I meant to ask whats on the cd for your book?? Is it you playing the Beatles tunes and then explaining them?

Hey fellow mod. If you mean the one we've been talking about, I think I pretty much explained it. If you mean the one dave first asked about Amaj to E(+5)/B. To me, it sounds sort of Hungarian since I know Hungarian music usually sharps the 5th in there fifth chord. The Hungarian major scale is 1, #2, 3, #4, 5, 6, b7. If you build a triad with the first note and the fifth note you end up with, Imaj and Vaug. In daves case Amaj is the root of the scale and E is the fifth. Another thing that separates this from a diatonic system is that the 5th is not a dominant chord, the #4 would have to be natural for it to be a b7 from the 5th.

explained: 5, b7, #2, #4 is the triad for the fifth, now convert it so you can see a chord spelling. 5 becomes 1 and we scale the intervals from there. So it's 1, 3, #5, 7, the spelling of a maj7#5 chord. This keeps the Hungarian scales from become diatonic.

The only abnormality in the whole equation that still ponders me is the inversion of the E augmented chord. B is not part of the Hungarian major scale, its B#. But having a 5th and a #5th in a chord is an abnormality in itself. In my view this may be a case of balancing the systemic sequence much like we raise the 6th in the melodic minor to make up for the intervallic distance in the harmonic minor, b6-1. In the Hungarian, it's 1-#2. Both minor 3rds, placing a 2nd in there will resolve this. The 2nd being B. Why not have it A#? Because that would create 2 tonics. In musical science a big no no, there can only be one home base.

You can even add a 2nd in the scale and play it without changing much of the texture. The 2nd acts as a natural tone and the #2 sort of becomes the blues tone of the major scale, b3. A cool addition but as for daves chord going, it’s an abnormality in musical science. I would search for a perfect equation but I am hungry. :)
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.