View post (What's Up !?!)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
10/22/2003 10:02 pm
Oh yeah, a very nice sounding chord progression. :) You'll probably find it in a lot of music. The occurrence happens naturally in Hungarian music a lot as I-V+. Here’s something interesting though. In classical music, if you use the same chord progression with substitution, it is also i-V7. Take A harmonic minor, the movement Am6 to E7(b13). A very nice jazzy sounding progression but inside those chords sits another chord progression Fmaj7 to Cmaj7(+5). A very common substitution which sounds a lot hipper than the pervious. You can also see that Fmaj7 to Cmaj7(+5) is the same movement as the Amaj to Eaug written before. Add the natural i-V7 as the inversion of those chords. So now you get Fmaj7/A to Cmaj7(+5)/E. Reverse it and you have a sweet sounding cadence. Play the Cmaj7(+5) to Fmaj7 on the guitar and E to A on the bass. A cool trick and knowing your a jazz player I'm sure you'll appreciate that one. Technically it's a E7(b13)-Am6, if you don't have a bass player.

e:--0----1-----
b:--1----1-----
g:--1----2-----
d:--0----2-----
a:--2----0-----
e:--0---(0)<~optional

I once had a Beatles book too and yeah it didn't give the full idea of an arrangement, it was more like a fake book. Can't say it didn't help because it did but it would be nice to have something a little more towards the melodic side of the Beatles. But I have to ask what does Michael Jackson have to do with the Beatles??

[Edited by noticingthemistake on 10-22-2003 at 05:11 PM]
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.