View post (Jane's Addiction - selling out?)

View thread

Slow Diver
Slow Diver
10/23/2003 5:15 pm
:D that was good, I mean the apple that popped from your butt:) I see what you mean. And I agree with you. I just think we should not get carried away with this.
And I know what selling out means. Think of it in this way: everything which appears on te marked for mass consumption is being produced so that the mass listener would like it. You can't really know what happens in the studio, because as I said in some other thread, the final product we hear in the album is the result of the effort of a team of professionals who work with the musicians. For example ULTRA by Depeche Mode, which is one of the greatest albums according to me and many other people -- if you open the album cover you see that there is a separate guy who is responsible for te programing of the synths. As, if I understand this correctly, this works in te following way: the guy makes some presets and Martin Gore just says, for example,:"ok, I think I like this one" or "hmm, I think this has too much distortion" See what I mean? This is the reason due to which you can't judge who is really seling out. And again, they are all doing it for money, dude, don't forget that! Some even want you to clean their toilets if you do not pay for their music...
I would beable to tell for sure that someone is not selling out only if he has an already established business and just makes music for fun and decides to release it sometime, or post it online for free download. Like John Frusciante(RHCP) did with his solo album.
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!