Who does use Effects?

Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
10/17/2003 8:59 am
Who many of you guys dont use effects pedals? MY set up is just Marshall Stack and Gibson guitars, with the occasional wah and talk box. My amp has reverb so apart from that I dont use anything else. Anyone else similar to me or that can recomend what I should add?
Ive tried Boss overdrive pedals but hated them :(
# 1
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
10/17/2003 11:29 am
If your lucky enough to have an all tube stack,then you shouldn't need an overdrive pedal.drive pedals are for us solid state losers.Alot of guitarists are gear crazy(including me) and will buy effects and distortion pedals they dont need or use.
Chuck Shuldiner once said to the effect "If you need lots of effects and pedals to get a good tone,then theres something wrong with your amp".If you NEED a overdrive pedal,then by all means obtain one,but if you get sweet sustain and plenty of roar from the amp then why try to fix something thats not broken.

Later! \m/
Try once,fail twice...
# 2
sambob
sambob
10/17/2003 1:41 pm
Eh, effects? Not exactly effects, but I always have something on my pedalboard.

A noise gate is essential (hell, get two). If I don't have mine on, my amp is just so incredibly noisy. The DOD250, for all its wonderful tone..has got to be the noisiest thing on the planet with really high gain.
# 3
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
10/18/2003 1:21 pm
Yea I kinda ended up getting overly expensive guitars and amps just because I hated the effects so much. Its well worth it tho. A 2nd hand Marshall head n cab aint that expensive really, and you can get a cheap gibson on ebay for about $400. Im thinking about getting a chorus pedal but everytime i buy sumin like that im dissapointed, awiass- wots ur rig and what chorus do ya use?
# 4
Slasher
Slasher
10/18/2003 6:03 pm
I use a boss mt-2 cos I've only got a 15watt amp n is hard to get a good sound. Probably wouldn't if I had a bigger amp. N sometimes use a bit of wah and rarely use delay. As far as all these weird and "wonderfull" effects go I think hardly anyone uses them. I do want a 7-eq pedal though.
Remember, the chickens that fly will always beat the rubber plants that bounce!
# 5
kronborg
kronborg
10/18/2003 6:27 pm
Well I use some effects, and I like them very much!

I've got:

DS-1
OD-3
CS-3 (compressor)
DD-3
Big Muff
Cry Baby

and I'm planning to buy a Fuzz Factory. For me, effects is what's really great about the guitar. You can create every sound you can imagine!! :)

(By the way... Look at my signature ;))
I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every panda that didn't want to screw to save it's species..
# 6
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
10/19/2003 12:05 am
Someone said something about if you have a tube amp, then you don't need to worry about a distortion pedal. I like the sound of my amp distortion through my LP, but not my Tele. Its muggy, so I use a Blues Driver to get some crunch.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 7
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
10/20/2003 2:36 pm
Have: MT-2, Super Chorus (I think - CE-3), DD-3, Dunlop 535Q wah.

Want: Equalizer, Compressor, or ditch the whole rig except maybe the delay and wah for a GT-6, since the wahs on the GT-6 are kinda weak, in my opinion.

While I do agree with the opinion that less effects can be better, I also can't deny that some cool music has been made using effects (e.g. Pink Floyd, U2, some EVH).
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 8
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
10/20/2003 7:28 pm
I don't use effects very often, except chorus for clean stuff. I will occasionally through in a flange or phaser is the sound is right. besides that I will use reverb and delay during solo's to give them a little fuller sound, and the occasional wah. Just depends on what I'm playing and what mood I'm in.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 9
TheDirt
TheDirt
10/20/2003 8:47 pm
I play my guitar through a Peavey KB/A 60 (which stands for Keyboard/Acoustic) amp. It has NO built in effects other than reverb (not even distortion - because it's an acoustic amp) so I use my RP200 for distortion/chorus/wah/compression/noisegate/delay.

Why didn't you just buy a guitar amp, Dirt? I really like the low end and mid response and good tone at all volumes of this amp. It's designed to amplify keyboards, which go both lower and higher than guitars, so it can handle very high and very low frequencies better than most guitar amps. Plus it can get loud as hell (played a 750 person auditorium on volume 3). All around good amp, just no built in distortion.

Another answer to why do I use effects - I just think it sounds better! (and others do too, I've been complimented on my tone a lot.)
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.