what do you thank of this setup?

SoulStealer7
SoulStealer7
10/13/2003 2:57 pm
What do guys think of an "Ibanez:AX7221GP"
( http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=AX7221 <--this one)whith a Crate amp ( 60watts or 100watts) for metal guitar?

Any sugggestions welcomed :)
# 1
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
10/13/2003 11:06 pm
If you're getting an Ibanez , you should make sure it's a high end guitar , cuz most low end Ibanez guitars I've tried really su*k ... I also think you would need a Floyd Rose tremolo for metal soloing (in case you play leads) .
Anyway , Ibanez RG's are nice metal guitars.
# 2
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
10/14/2003 2:31 am
not to mention that particular guitar is just ugly looking. I would go with the Kramer Striker also. They make a 7 string version that really kicks a$$.
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 3
SoulStealer7
SoulStealer7
10/14/2003 6:23 am
ok, what about an "Esp/Ltd" 7string or something that is good for metal that is a 7 string? And has any of you guys heard of an 8string guitar?and I have been playing for a year but I havent learned how to play lead yet.
# 4
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
10/14/2003 11:17 am
Well i also like (some)Korn, if there is something wrong with it, let me know
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 5
SoulStealer7
SoulStealer7
10/14/2003 12:41 pm
Theres nothing wrong with liking korn. I like thier older stuff better.

And I want to start a Heavy metal band with some friends and I want something that will sound heavy without drop tunings. :)
# 6
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
10/14/2003 5:52 pm
Originally posted by SoulStealer7
Theres nothing wrong with liking korn.

Sure , everybody's got his/her musical tastes ... And everybody else should respect that.

And I want to start a Heavy metal band with some friends and I want something that will sound heavy without drop tunings. :)

Then you need more distortion , not a seventh string ! ;)

Btw , a 6 strings guitar tuned only to Eb or D can sound real heavy with the right amount of distortion .
# 7
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
10/14/2003 6:40 pm
Originally posted by SLY
Then you need more distortion , not a seventh string ! ;)

Btw , a 6 strings guitar tuned only to Eb or D can sound real heavy with the right amount of distortion . [/B]

I second that notion.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 8
SPL
SPL
10/14/2003 11:04 pm
I used to have basically the same guitar, only it was the RG model. It's not great, but not total crap either, a nice affordable way to venture into seven string territory for sure. The only big difference between the RG and the AX, except for the body shape, is the scale of the neck. Since you seem to be insterested in a seven string, I'd definitely consider checking out the RG7321 in stead since it has a longer scale than the AX. Longer scale = higher tension on string = good thing with that 7th string on there.

Originally posted by aiwass
However, if all you're gonna play is Korn kinda stuff, just get a six string and tune down.

A six string that has been tuned down simply does not sound the same as a seven string. Plus, Korn actually do use all of their strings. Just because they don't jack off on their instrument doesn't mean they shouldn't play a seven string, there actually is a world of relative musicianship beyond Vai and Petrucci.

Originally posted by SLY
Then you need more distortion , not a seventh string !

A seven string guitar, or excessive amounts of distortion, will not make you sound heavy. "Heavyness" is determined by your music and the rest of your band, not your sound or your tuning.
(this does not apply to bedroom guitarists, scooping mids will make these guys sound "heavy")
# 9
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
10/14/2003 11:13 pm
I have actually played an LTD. 7 string. I liked the feel of it but to me the neck is just too damn wide. Personally it doesn't matter if you get Ibenhad, Kramer, or ESP. As long as you spend the extra cash for a QUALITY instrument with QUALITY parts, it will make you happy for many years to come.
# 10
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
10/15/2003 12:13 pm
Originally posted by SPL
Just because they don't jack off on their instrument doesn't mean they shouldn't play a seven string, there actually is a world of relative musicianship beyond Vai and Petrucci.
[/B]

LOL
:D
true...
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 11
SPL
SPL
10/15/2003 1:53 pm
Originally posted by aiwass
As for Vai and Petrucci jacking off on their instruments...

I am not even going to comment on that, other than saying I just lost a lot of respect for you.

Thank you for taking that comment way too seriously... at least I got my point across though. :)

aiwass, I'm sorry I singled you out, but I've heard all of those comments so many times when people ask advice about buying a seven string. Even if he isn't going to use all notes or strings, so what? He obviously wants a seven string, and since the price difference between a six and seven string, of relatively the same qaulity, isn't that much different, who really cares?
It's like saying, "don't buy a three channel amp if you're only going to use two of them!!" But what if that person just happens to love those two channels and thinks the third channel might be fun too?

ps: personally I think of shredding in any way as "jacking off," but I guess online that offends people, which is too bad since I don't mean anything bad by it. Vai and Petrucci kick ass, but oh well...

[Edited by SPL on 10-15-2003 at 09:09 AM]
# 12
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
10/15/2003 2:34 pm
Originally posted by SPL
Originally posted by SLY
Then you need more distortion , not a seventh string !

A seven string guitar, or excessive amounts of distortion, will not make you sound heavy. "Heavyness" is determined by your music and the rest of your band, not your sound or your tuning.
(this does not apply to bedroom guitarists, scooping mids will make these guys sound "heavy")

"Heaviness" is not only that too , I can make the guitar sound heavier than death metal bands in clean tone !
It's more of the way you make it feel when your playing a line .

Anyways ,the guy said he wanted to sound heavier , that's why I recomended that he could try some tweaking in his amp or pedals , detune to Eb or D , just to see if that would satisfy him.

# 13
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
10/16/2003 12:27 am
Hey thanks to Vai and his "jacking off" the guitar in the Yankee Rose video, I got suspended from school for using that move at a talent show. So yeah, he DOES jack off his instrument!
:)

# 14
SoulStealer7
SoulStealer7
10/19/2003 7:03 am
Originally posted by SLY
Anyways ,the guy said he wanted to sound heavier , that's why I recomended that he could try some tweaking in his amp or pedals , detune to Eb or D , just to see if that would satisfy him.
[/B]

I have tried the D and Eb tunings but I think I want the extra string. The way I see it is the more the strings the more playablity you get out of it. and the 7 string is the only one I could find in a music store in my town:( and it's $400 bucks :)
# 15
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/19/2003 8:10 am
If you have the money, and you want that guitar, do the deal! I don't know anyone who still plays only the first guitar they bought, after they've been at it for a few years. Enjoy, then tweak it to meet your changing tastes/needs, or get something else. The main thing is get an axe in your hands, and play the mofo! :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 16
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
10/19/2003 7:33 pm
Originally posted by Lordathestrings
If you have the money, and you want that guitar, do the deal! I don't know anyone who still plays only the first guitar they bought, after they've been at it for a few years. Enjoy, then tweak it to meet your changing tastes/needs, or get something else. The main thing is get an axe in your hands, and play the mofo! :D

Yea verily, that guitar is way better than my first guitar, that's for sure! Ibanez makes decent instruments at all levels and I'm sure you'd be satisfied with it.
Free Backing Tracks At GuitarVoice.com!

"The pursuit of easy things makes men weak."

David O. McKay
# 17
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
10/19/2003 11:39 pm
First off...
A paralized cat could outplay the Korn boys...IMO
There sad exuses for musicians and deserve as much recognition/respect as eminem...IMO

As for downtuning and sounding heavy.Easy answer is tune to a half or whole step down standard,but it really is more how and what you play.A good midrange riff can sound way harder(as in heavy)then just chug'n a palm muted open E.

This is what to do.

1.Get a kewl 7 string guitar and an H&K vortex stack...
2.Write riffs that induce involuntary headbanging...

#2 is the most important and if done well can make #1 obsolete!Get good at #2.

Now if you'll exuse me,I need to take a #1...

Later! \m/
Try once,fail twice...
# 18
joshldoherty
joshldoherty
10/22/2003 12:49 am
I don't see why everyone knocks Crates. My first amp was a Crate GFX 212, and I love it, so much that I got a smaller Crate, 65 watts, so that I could practice with an amp and leave another amp at my friend's house to jam. I think that, for metal as well as clean tones, it sounds great. I've used it fro playing in my school's jazz band with compliments on the tone (guitar- epiphone dot) and also for playing a lot harder songs, like metallica and megadeth as well as riffs I've come up with (using a jackson rhoads). In terms of coming up with metal riffs, I've managed to come up with some that my friends think are pretty hard without tuning down at all. Personally, its all about the riff, not how low the guitar is tuned.
# 19

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.