creativity, own style

beginner
beginner
10/06/2003 8:41 pm
i think my technique at the moment is not bad(for example i can play master of puppets, stairway, one,... solos), but I don´t really check to make my own to metallica comparable riffs, or quite cool solos, or a god melodic part. i think i would have the technique but how can i learn to make my own good stuff?? How can i force my creativity, and develop my own style??
# 1
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/07/2003 1:59 am
People are going to reply to this and say that you can't force creativity. Those people will be wrong. The inspiration is stuck in traffic. It's not gonna get to you...ever. Sit down, listen to a song in, say, Em. Crank up your amp and improvise along with it. All you've got to do is play the Em pentatonic scale. It's probably the easiest thing in the world as far as guitar goes.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 2
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
10/07/2003 5:37 am
Originally posted by Jolly McJollyson
People are going to reply to this and say that you can't force creativity. Those people will be wrong. The inspiration is stuck in traffic. It's not gonna get to you...ever. Sit down, listen to a song in, say, Em. Crank up your amp and improvise along with it. All you've got to do is play the Em pentatonic scale. It's probably the easiest thing in the world as far as guitar goes.

THAT is your advice? do you know what music is?

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 3
nasum_human
nasum_human
10/07/2003 8:03 am
jam with other people, you can use their ideas and vice versa. I write some pretty good stuff on my own, but when I'm in a band I get inspiration from all corners. The way the drummer does a quick double hit on a kick can mean I change a riff, the bass player may want to add some slap, so you need to make room. After fiddling with things like that you find your songs sound much more original.
In addition, I'd suggest switching to acoustic guitar to write on if you play mainly electric, and vice versa. Using an instrument you would play differently, makes you think differently. You can still write heavy music on an acoustic, all you need to do is write it and transfer it to electric.
Experiment with different tunings, drop-d is the classic, it really opens up all kinds of different riff shapes.
Get a minidisc player, record a few riffs over it, or even chord progressions in keys you're unfamiliar with, try soloing using odd scales and chromatics. Everyone uses pentatonics these days. Try to break away from that.
Learn fingerstyle classical, check out this place often as people often name drop guitarists worth checking out that you may not have heard of.
Fiddle with guitar, amp and FX settings

There that should give you something to go off at least!
guns dont kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they've got a gun)
# 4
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
10/07/2003 11:47 am
It should be noted that dimebag creates his stuff on an acoustic...
Anyway,yeah,playing with other people always gives a different perspective and opens alot of doors for creation and expansion.
Try this.
Sit down and "think" up a sick riff(or run)...that shouldnt be hard to do.Now try to work out the riff/run from your head to the fretboard...thats the hard part.When working it out do not compromise the original riff/run and aim to get it just like you "hear" it.I live by the truth "you fight the way you train" and the same can be applied to guitar.If you mindlessly doodle around you will be "applying technique" but there will be no creative process.Your mind is limitless in what it "hears"...learn to convert what you "hear" to the guitar using the technique/tools at your disposal.In comparison to an artist/painter...your mind is the pallete,your hands and technique/skills are the brush...do I really need to say what the canvas is?

Later! \m/
Try once,fail twice...
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/07/2003 12:05 pm
Where does original thought come from:

Is it an unoriginal thaught that has mutated ?
Is it a de novo idea that has landed out of the blue?
Is it a mixture / amalgam of two or more pre existing thoughts?
Is it as simple as leaving out a bit of an old thought?
or as simple as seeing something old in a new context / light ?

I'm sure all of tis can be applied to music !

Food for thought!!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 6
beginner
beginner
10/07/2003 12:18 pm
thanks guys, you really helped me, maybe this has been the reason, because i´ve only once been to drummer, and never really played with other peoples. But that will come. I actually did some creative things on guitar( for example improvise by not using pentatonic.i did this with septatonic(if this even exist))
# 7
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
10/07/2003 9:38 pm
In the world we live,our minds get drowned in unoriginal thought...but no one person percieves/concieves a thought as another.many people acting on a common thought will yield different a result/conclusion individual to each person.
Try once,fail twice...
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.