View post (Mellow Jazz Pickups)

View thread

Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
10/01/2003 11:59 pm
Originally posted by PonyOne

The TV Jones pickups are great for jazz/blues/fusion and even metal if you're a good player who knows your instrument. TV Jones are used on most higher-end Gretsch guitars because they're like Gretsch pickups on steroids (they are modeled after the original mid-50's Filtertron designs). Again the only thing that makes me shy away from them is the fact that they cost over $100. I suppose you can't put a price on tone, but, well, when you don't have that much cash to throw around...

That said you may be able to find some real Gretsch pickups and turn your DC into a baby Tennessee Rose. Sometimes you can find them on ebay or http://www.gbase.com, if not then you might try contacting Gretsch to see how much they'd cost for a new set.

If you want to go super-high class, then look into Benedetto pickups. They are top-line pickups made by Seymour Duncan for renowned luthier Bob Benedetto for use in the guitars that he makes and sells for $10k, and are what you hear on a lot of jazz guitar songs. They cost a boatload though (between $130-190 depending on where you get em and what model).

I'm goin with the Benendettos! My guitar teacher just put some benendetto's on his les paul, it's awesome because when he has the tone at 10, it sounds like a normal humbucker, but when you lower the tone, it sounds like a hollow-body, real rich and fat, etc. I'm gonna a benendetto in the neck, not sure what they sound like in the bridge. Anyone know?