View post (Modes and Their Chords)

View thread

chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
09/26/2003 4:12 pm
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Josh Redstone
I tried doing the thing I said above, and I realized all the cadences get switched around, so your 5-1 cadence isnt a perfect candence anymore, so then, how are you supposed to get a good chord progression going if your trying to emphasise the key note of the mode instead of the keynote of the major scale its comming from, and all those cadences are so weak?

?!?!... quite perplexed, you must have done something wrong to come up with imperfect cadences.

The 2 5 1 progession in jazz is equivalent to the 1 4 5 in pop and rock, start by getting used to improvise over this 1st. In the key of C maj that would be Dmin7 G7 Cmaj7. 1st get used to soloing/improvising/phrasing in the major key. Then try outlining the chord tones within the progession. Then try playing lines that resolve to the next chord.

For instance, for a jazzy sound try plaing a phrase that resolves the 7th of the Dmin7 chord (C) to the 3rd of the G7 chord (B), this should happen either on the down beat of 1, or the up beat of 4 (anticipation). Next, try playing a phrase that resolves the 3rd (B) or 7th (F) of the G7 chord to the Root (C) or 3rd (E) of the Cmaj 7th chord.

Thirdly, get some lessons w/a reputable jazz guitar instructor in your area, this is not easy stuff to learn.